Car terminology that makes you cringe

Associate
Probably cause your left foot is tuned to a
Clutch, which is foot down, rather than a brake which need modulation.

Watch the Chris hoy documentary for the difference left foot braking can make in the right environment - the race track.

he was massively quicker using left foot braking. No delay of the right foot moving between pedals.
Mate my 2nd car is a 300bhp track car that weighs around 890kg. Pretty sure I know how to 'modulate' my left foot from my right. Basically the VW car is a load of crap compared to a Jap car from Toyota or Honda form the same eara, cutting the power on the break and the accelerator is an idiotic idea.

Soldato
Mate my 2nd car is a 300bhp track car that weighs around 890kg. Pretty sure I know how to 'modulate' my left foot from my right. Basically the VW car is a load of crap compared to a Jap car from Toyota or Honda form the same eara, cutting the power on the break and the accelerator is an idiotic idea.
I just assumed all cars did it. What I find strange is that with my wife's fiesta, you don't have to take your foot off the accelerator to change gear, although I've not tried it.

Man of Honour
"Immaculate condition for its age" - this gets my back up because immaculate means immaculate and the age is irrelevant. Either it is immaculate, or it isn't. There is no sliding scale that means a car with imperfections can be considered immaculate just because it is old. In fact if a car is over 10 years old I would say it is almost impossible for it to be immaculate.

"Good condition for its age" on the other hand is perfectly acceptable because "good", unlike "immaculate", can be relative.

Caporegime
"Immaculate condition for its age" - this gets my back up because immaculate means immaculate and the age is irrelevant. Either it is immaculate, or it isn't. There is no sliding scale that means a car with imperfections can be considered immaculate just because it is old. In fact if a car is over 10 years old I would say it is almost impossible for it to be immaculate.

"Good condition for its age" on the other hand is perfectly acceptable because "good", unlike "immaculate", can be relative.

Still, at least when they say that you know what they mean.

Unlike all the jokers that flat out describe a dented up old turd as "immaculate" with no qualifier. :p

Soldato
People who have never driven a fast car describing a 2.0 diesel BMW etc as very quick. A guy at my old work used to always refer to his old Vectra SRI like it was some amazing quick car, used to make me cringe.
It's a matter of perspective though so perfectly justified.

Man of Honour
Still, at least when they say that you know what they mean
True - it means I know they are an idiot :)

It's the equivalent of in F1 a commentator saying "Rosberg is in first place, except for the cars in front of him". Although that's the sort of thing Murray might have said of be fair... :D

Back
Top Bottom