Car was keyed last night - How much to fix?

Associate
The local chavs decided to key the side of my car last night.

The scratch runs along front and rear doors and above the rear wheel arch, deep enough to see the white primer underneath.

My car has dark blue metalic paint - anyone have any idea how much it will cost to get fixed or if it's best to get it done on insurance.

Caporegime
Should cost about 200 take it round a few bodyshops and get some estimates though.

Wee W***** though! Unlucky dude and hope you catch them and give them a right kicking.

Associate
What is the done thing regarding fixing key scratches that have reached the primer? Does the whole car require a respray to make sure the paint colour is kept even across the car? I'm assuming that the paint on a 3-4 yr old car will have faded even slightly, so painting say just one door panel will make it look 'off.'

Soldato
You should only need to get the panel with the scratch done, a good body shop and you wont know the difference...3-4 years is nothing really, I got my bumper done for £100on my 7 year old car...looks fine.

If the scratch is small or just to primer, you couild just get it touched up by chips-away or someone...obviosly metallic paint is more expensive than a flat colour.

Its definatly worth getting a few quotes before you resort to insurance.

Soldato
it sounds like 3 panels need doing, depends on the paint how much, some new cars have very very expensive multi layer paint.

cant even guess without pics.

Associate
OP
I really hope it can be touched in somehow.

Will get some quotes this week.

The car is a VW Passat. I always thought my bright yellow seat leon cupra would be the one to get keyed. I parked it in the same spot for a couple of years and the vandals never touched it, even though most other cars in my street have had something happen to them in that time.

Soldato
I had my car keyed from the back quarter panel across the passenger door and passenger wing, had a couple of quotes from around 280-300 quid to get all 3 panels resprayed.

Soldato
Some little faecal brained scumbag keyed all the cars down one side of our road a couple of nights back (including ours) :( The retard even did a couple of rusty old transit vans up the road as well :confused:.

Castration (without anaesthetic) should be mandatory for these inbred knuckle draggers.

Associate
That you can't leave a car parked without worrying about it is a sad reflection on our society.

My Focus was keyed just before I planned to sell it (typical) - that cost 180 quid, both doors and the front wing. It was a great repair. I also had my wing mirror kicked off a few days later - good fun for the scum around here.

I saw a lady pointing at her MR2 whilst speaking to a neighbour. When I saw it the next day, it had been keyed fully down both sides. Shocking.

Soldato
heh i hate that sort of thing..i sold my celica as i was getting more and more concerned it was going to get "done" while i was out and about.

Seems they'll do any car these days, just about being in the wrong place at the wrong time unfortunately :mad:

Its like going up to somebody, calling them every name under the sun, robbing them, then burning their money anyway.

Soldato
Had my Focus keyed a few weeks ago! Fortunately the little retard has no muscle mass, as it's not even broken through the paint, and will most likely polish out!

What DID annoy me is the fact they chose MY car to key. It's a burgundy 5 door Focus - it's a sodding Grandad's car! WHY WOULD ANYONE KEY IT?!

Soldato
Cant estimate without pics, but any decent body shop will be able to match the paint colour.

However, the problem is thatt eh body shop will not be able to match the finish - Which in its own kind of way effects the colour.

I'm not sure ont he quality of the standard paint of Passat's, but the problem is that when the pannels are re sprayed, clear coaterd, flattened and then polished to a shine, you will end up with one shiney panel compared tot he rest of the car.

As i said though depends on the original finish of the car. These days they seem to be quite orange peely ( new hyundia's [sp?] ) in particular, where as cars like newer Vauxhalls tend to have quite a nice finish to them.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom