Car wrap, more importantly has any removed one?

Soldato
That will be firesand, lovely colour was my second choice when buying the SVR. :)

So now I just make the M3 that colour, kind of fedup with three blue cars.

You watch I'll sell the SVR and end up with an orange Mclaren when I wrap M3 oranges. :D

New ones have the full SVO paint palette including satin and gloss variants so could also be that. Firesand never really was the right tone for a sports car IMO.

Associate
I'd be a little more cautious considering your m3 has had a recent respray. If there are any spots where the prep for the paintwork isn't perfect then there will be a risk of paint flaking off when removing the wrap. May be worth speaking to the shop who sprayed it and asking them if they think you'd have any problems.

Soldato
Hi there

Has anyone here wrapped a car then had it removed or purchased a car wrapped and then removed it, if so did the wrap remove easily and though doubtful any issues with paint been removed?

had a wrap on a BMW E93 for around 4 years, paid someone £100 to take it off, no paint issues

Soldato
I'd be a little more cautious considering your m3 has had a recent respray. If there are any spots where the prep for the paintwork isn't perfect then there will be a risk of paint flaking off when removing the wrap. May be worth speaking to the shop who sprayed it and asking them if they think you'd have any problems.

This.

The only time I've seen the removal of wraps (or major decals / signwriting) cause big problems is when they were over the top of refinished panels. I've ripped the clearcoat straight off on more than one occasion :o

Associate
I notified both dvla and my insurance company. Was told it was best to do so for various reasons (e.g car getting stolen and the police looking for a different colour car).

Soldato
Picking one is not easy! I'd be happy with any, but favourite is the copper/orange because it works with both silver and darker wheels. My other set of wheels are as per the copper orange car pictured. :)

Has to be Phoenix yellow, LS blue, imola red or Dakar yellow (2?) for me.

Soldato
x.jpg

x2.jpg

ok i bought wrap for the Tamiya Kenworth, i bought too much though, it looks like there's enough to wrap the Jazz, i got confused between feet and metres when i ordered it, gorgeous flip flop colour though, man it looks nice :D

ok, it goes on very easily and shrinks as soon as you put the hairdryer on it, it looks fantastic and easily as good as the airbrush, but i need more practice though, because tight angles and contours are tricky as hell.

the above poster is right, it strips off the lacquer coat, you can see where it's damaged the near side bonnet and that was spray lacquered a month ago ! when it shrinks the other side which is textured like a golf ball, shrinks quite tightly and bites into the surface.

it might be different on a real car though, hard to tell, the wrap also polishes up and waxes well

https://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/vehiclewrappingvws4.asp

Last edited:
Soldato
the above poster is right, it strips off the lacquer coat, you can see where it's damaged the near side bonnet and that was spray lacquered a month ago ! when it shrinks the other side which is textured like a golf ball, shrinks quite tightly and bites into the surface.

Was the airbrush sprayed directly onto plastic or was there a primer added first?

Soldato
Was the airbrush sprayed directly onto plastic or was there a primer added first?

primer added first, same brand as the rest of the paint...............but when i do the wrap on the new body there will be no primer, directly onto bare plastic, because it's 1/14 scale so the plastic is fairly thick and high quality too, like all Tamiya kits....

i'll wrap this truck panel by panel, it'll be miles easier this way, but i haven't got the new body yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes they do mention this, but it depends what plastic it is, i'll test it tomorrow because i have plenty of Tamiya kits, if it doesn't stick i'll simply paint new body first..........no problem!

Back
Top Bottom