Car wrap, more importantly has any removed one?

Soldato
My man will charge me £1250 for wrap and £250 for removal. :)
Wow. I contacted bossdog.co.uk and they wanted £1K to wrap my Ducati, though that includes £200 for a ceramic coating. Seems pretty steep when you can get a whole car done for a little more :eek:

Soldato
just tested it, it sticks about the same as sellotape on both bare plastic and paint, so yes it lifts off easily but only if you pick at the edges with a knife blade... so i'll stick it direct to bare plastic and if it doesn't work i'll just strip it off and paint it........ my guess is it peels off a real car easily too.

Soldato
just tested it, it sticks about the same as sellotape on both bare plastic and paint, so yes it lifts off easily but only if you pick at the edges with a knife blade... so i'll stick it direct to bare plastic and if it doesn't work i'll just strip it off and paint it........ my guess is it peels off a real car easily too.

Some sites say its fine to do, some say it isn't, and some say you can but it doesn't last as long. So I guess a few factors come into play. Like the smoothness of the plastic and the make of vinyl.

Soldato
yes it's definitely a gamble, because wrap doesn't look so good on models when it covers moulded details, it doesn't shrink and flex enough, the film is too thick, it's perfect on a real car though, because a pro wrapper removes car door handles/ badges etc before wrapping.

the kenworth isn't too bad, the only awkward area is the tight curves on the front wheel arches, the rest of it is just a huge shoe box, that model truck is about 20'' long, it's massive, it has full working shocks, differential gears, sound effects, working lights, turn signals, air brakes etc, so it's worth doing a great job on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHgY_Oj-fc&t=6s

i love stuff like this, i'm a real geek at heart :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow. I contacted bossdog.co.uk and they wanted £1K to wrap my Ducati, though that includes £200 for a ceramic coating. Seems pretty steep when you can get a whole car done for a little more :eek:

I asked them for a quote for a GT86 and it came back at £1500. It's now gone from something I was 50/50 about doing to "I really want to do this now!" :D

Associate
Hi there

Has anyone here wrapped a car then had it removed or purchased a car wrapped and then removed it, if so did the wrap remove easily and though doubtful any issues with paint been removed?

I had a 3M wrap done by a reputable company on one of my BMW's. When the wrap came off it ripped some paint off clean and left quite a few areas looking blotchy, despite being a reputable company they would not cover it. I would not wrap a car again personally, as it is a PITA when it comes to selling / trading in.

Soldato
I had a 3M wrap done by a reputable company on one of my BMW's. When the wrap came off it ripped some paint off clean and left quite a few areas looking blotchy, despite being a reputable company they would not cover it. I would not wrap a car again personally, as it is a PITA when it comes to selling / trading in.

Was it a brand new car when wrapped? I remember reading before that if it is a new car, you should really let the paint sit for at least a month while it 'breathes' before covering it with anything.

I could be talking ******** though. :p

Associate
be mindful if the installer removes door handles (this needs to be done for a "proper job) it might invalidate your insurance if the insurance company want to get funny with you

Associate
like anything if its not done by someone approved the insurance company might get funny about it , we know of one case where a van was broken into and the insurance company wouldn't pay out because the handles had been removed for a wrap ( not by us mind)

Soldato
Was it a brand new car when wrapped? I remember reading before that if it is a new car, you should really let the paint sit for at least a month while it 'breathes' before covering it with anything.

I could be talking ******** though. :p
This is true for fresh resprays but not for new cars, speaking normally.

Paint requires the ability to gas off, but this can be reduced if baked.

But a new car is usually baked and also takes a few weeks to go through transportation, PDI etc before it gets to you, let alone wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom