Car Write off - Hastings

Associate
OK so first off, given the age, it's going to be a write off, full stop, especially if the assessor has already told you this

What you will be waiting on is the category, either A, B, S or N. A & B are unlikely based on what you have described as these are completely unrepairable, A has to be crushed, B can be broken for parts. So you will be looking a "financial" write-off S meaning uneconomical to repair with structural damage, N being non-structural damage.

For those saying can you negotiate to repair yourself with second hand part, HIGHLY unlikely, his policy will likely be that it will be returned to as new condition, meaning new parts, insurers are very wary of paying out cash in lieu of repair settlement, as people asking for this type of settlement are a big red flag for fraud concerns.

What will likely happen if Hastings will allow it (can't see why they won't) is that they will value the car and deduct the amount they would be paid by their salvage agent (Copart or the like), the deduction will be non-negotiable and will be a percentage of the final value of the car. The car will still be added to the Motor Insurance Anti Fraud and Theft Register (MIAFTR) and the marker will stay on the car for the rest of its life whether you repair it or not.

If it is deemed to be a Cat N write off you can repair it and continue to use the car as normal. If it is a Cat S you would need to repair it and get a new MOT on the car (this replaces the old roadworthiness inspections) You will also need to apply for a new log book which will show that Cat S on there.

For reference, this is my job day inn, day out, before anyone start with "source?"

Associate
Can you point me to the bit that says a Cat S needs to get a new MOT please?

Apologies, that is one of our requirements to reinsure with us and many other insurers also insist on this, it is strongly advised with a Cat S to ensure that the vehicle is definitely safe considering it has suffered damage to the structure of the vehicle which can compromise its performance in a further crash

Soldato
...... so do assessors accurately determine if a vehicle is just N then, or, for expediency, will they declare it S, even if it doesn't have structural damage.

Associate
If it's been assessed already it's probably too late to avoid a marker.

In your situation, especially as you seem to have a quote to repair from a local bodyshop? I would ask for cash in lieu, using the highest quote you get, but keeping it under the write off value.

I have no experience with hastings though. Goodluck.

Soldato
Unfortunately as others have stated if they decide its cheaper to write it off rather than repair then thats what they will do - you either accept the offer and lose the car or pay for repairs yourself

Lately used cars prices have gone through the roof its the one thing I dread someone writing off my car like they did last one - didn't have it a year before a numpty of a Tesco deliveries driver ploughed into it - the insurance value is far below current dealer prices for an equivalent replacement and unlike house contents car insurance isn't new-for-old or even like-for-like

Soldato
Also never accept the first offer, go on auto trader and get cars of same age, mileage and condition and tell them thats how much it will cost to replace the motor.

You dont have to accept the offer, you are the customer remember.

Soldato
Are you sure the car has sentimental value given that you have said you intend to replace it in a few years?

You might regret having held onto a now marked car come resale for seemingly loose sentiment.

Associate
as silver tongue said... just tell them you want the old car and they usually pay the balance less excess and the value of the car. ie easy terms. car value 1000. they would get a percentage from a salvage yard say 10 percent for your vehicle say 100 pounds. so they pay you 900 pounds less your excess and you keep the car and do what you want with it.

to be honest if you are happy with the car i wouldnt worry too much about markers on it ive bought and repaired loads over the years before retiring and it made very little difference on normal vehicles.

what i would add is surely the claim is being made against the person who hit you? so why are they not getting involved with repairs side.

many many years ago uncle had his car written off and he wanted it back the insurance hadnt even given him a price but had taken it to one of there repair centres to be assesed.
imagine his surprise when i showed him a provisional invoice showing me as purchaser of his car from local yard....

needless to say the phone line was very hot the next day between him and the insurance company as regards why they had consigned his car that he still owned to a salvage yard for sale, i believe he got an extra grand on the payout for that mistake. oh and we repaired it and he bought it back from us and had a holiday in spain on the payout:))

Soldato
OP
Cheers for all the help guys.

We got to keep it, it is a CAT N. Thjey offered £3,500 for them to keep in, or £2,5000 for us to keep it. We are going to have someone look at it tomorrow, we was quoted no more than £1,000 to fix it.
I reckon the door can be beaten out, the sill just needs to be either welded and pulled, or bashed from other side with a bit of filler. :)

Associate
Hi mate just come across this I’m in the exact same situation with Hastings, did you have to buy the car back from copart and if so how did they work out the value for you to pay? Copart are now asking me for pictures of my car but I thought they just go with between 18-24% of the pre acc value but I don’t know tried asking copart they won’t answer

Associate
Hi mate just come across this I’m in the exact same situation with Hastings, did you have to buy the car back from copart and if so how did they work out the value for you to pay? Copart are now asking me for pictures of my car but I thought they just go with between 18-24% of the pre acc value but I don’t know tried asking copart they won’t answer
if you still have the car then its hastings that you deal with. i understand copart may have an arrangement with hastings and others ,but normally that means they collect and inspect then either send to repair(unlikely) or just cat it and send you a payment.
you are in a better position if you still have your vehicle.
dont forget it still remains your property till you agree and accept the payment.
send pictures and wait for value .

Associate
if you still have the car then its hastings that you deal with. i understand copart may have an arrangement with hastings and others ,but normally that means they collect and inspect then either send to repair(unlikely) or just cat it and send you a payment.
you are in a better position if you still have your vehicle.
dont forget it still remains your property till you agree and accept the payment.
send pictures and wait for value .
Nightmare mate I called Hastings for weeks they said they don’t deal with buying back it has to go to copart this was a manager apparently the department was dissolved last august and everything goes through copart I’ve kept the car in a garage as I knew they would try take it copart now want best part of 6k to buy it back the car was valued pav £9700

Back
Top Bottom