Carabao Cup - Semi Finals ** Spoilers ** [5/12/13/20 January 2022]

Caporegime
You get the impression a few clubs now have played the covid card to their own benefit, Tottenham got it spot on, helped them out no end with more rest time and more time for new manager to get his methods onboard, Liverpool now will obviously want to postpone to push as many games as possible back to when they have their best players back from Africa. Saw this coming a mile off.
But pushing games back creates a major scheduling headache. The Champions League starts again in February and they will still need to play both legs of the Carabao cup Semi (which is ridiculous, play it at Villa Park over one leg or something) and if they get through in the FA Cup they then have a huge issue with likely having to play midweek and weekends until the end of the season. I doubt they're looking at this as a potential to create an advantage. Man City got a huge one playing against a severely depleted Leeds side and coming away with a massively improved goal difference and an easy win. No other team with thoughts of the title will get that sort of advantage.

Soldato
But pushing games back creates a major scheduling headache. The Champions League starts again in February and they will still need to play both legs of the Carabao cup Semi (which is ridiculous, play it at Villa Park over one leg or something) and if they get through in the FA Cup they then have a huge issue with likely having to play midweek and weekends until the end of the season. I doubt they're looking at this as a potential to create an advantage. Man City got a huge one playing against a severely depleted Leeds side and coming away with a massively improved goal difference and an easy win. No other team with thoughts of the title will get that sort of advantage.

Well we didnt because ours was postponed...

Too much cash money in this to be one leg. They'll play it over two with a few days in between i imagine. That or play it on Fifa. I nominate Diogo Jota for our side.

Associate
Jesus christ! Imagine playing the covid card for League Cup and FA Cup games! Have you not noticed how little Klopp gives a **** about the domestic cups in the past few seasons? Two seasons ago he sent the entire first team squad (including himself and first team coaches) on holiday instead of playing in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. He put out an under 15 side in the quarter final of the League Cup that same season and also put a kids team out in a FA Cup derby vs Everton.

Had we wanted to play the covid card I think it might have been a better idea to do it in games that mattered rather than playing 2 of our hardest games of the season without key players due to covid.

If Klopp really does not care for the domestic cup competitions then surely he would have just got this out the way then with whatever he had to reduce the schedule for his important games, be it using reserves or whoever, they have called for the postponement so obviously have some interest in it.

Caporegime
I personally find it hard to believe that Klopp has suddenly gone from the squad he had on Sunday to not even being able to field a side 2 days later.

If the postponement is granted and then Liverpool put out kids against Shrewsbury 3 days later then they should forfeit the tie as it becomes obvious they’re gaming the system.

Don
If Klopp really does not care for the domestic cup competitions then surely he would have just got this out the way then with whatever he had to reduce the schedule for his important games, be it using reserves or whoever, they have called for the postponement so obviously have some interest in it.
He tries to win any game we play in but there are quite clearly different levels of importance, with the League Cup right at the bottom, closely followed by the FA Cup. The fact that Mane (71 minutes) and Salah (61 minutes) have barely stepped foot on the pitch in any League Cup games we've played in the past 4/5 years shows that. To suggest we're playing the covid card so these games are played after they return from the Afcon is nothing short of bonkers, not least because those players would have very likely not featured anyway and that both this and last season have we continually struggled through periods where we've been without key players to covid in far more important fixtures.

Prior to any new covid issues we were already without 9 players (+ Klopp and at least 3 more members of the first team coaching staff) - further positive cases was likely and would also mean we would be very close to not being able to play the fixture.

Don
I personally find it hard to believe that Klopp has suddenly gone from the squad he had on Sunday to not even being able to field a side 2 days later.

If the postponement is granted and then Liverpool put out kids against Shrewsbury 3 days later then they should forfeit the tie as it becomes obvious they’re gaming the system.
Why would the side we field vs Shrewsbury change whether we have enough players to put out a side on Thursday? At least 3, potentially 6 of the 9 players out from the Chelsea game will be available again for Shrewsbury, only 1 of which is even close to being available for Thursday.

With the 3 players at Afcon, before any new injuries/covid our first team squad consisted of Kelleher, Adrian, Trent, Williams, Robertson, Kostas, VVD, Gomez, Konate, Hendo, Milner, Jones, Fab, Ox, Jota. The threshold for a game being postponed is 13 players including a keeper - we were already down to just 15 players, it's hardly a big jump to get from there to sub 13.

And for clarity, I'd have absolutely no problem if the game was called off altogether. The competition is a waste of time. I suspect that it won't be though. The League Cup games are the most valuable TV rights the EFL has and they're not going to repay Sky for any games being cancelled. They might insist on us playing the game regardless of the covid situation, in which case I hope we put out the u13's and further devalue the already worthless Cup.

Don
What about the reserves and youth. Why can’t they be used?
Are you asking for my opinion or what the rules state? I couldn't give a **** Rob. I've consistently said this competition is a waste of time for the past 4-5 years. I'd happily see the kitchen staff line-up on Thursday rather than any first team player. The rules in the PL, which I assume the EFL share or have something similar to, are that you need to have 13 members of your 25 man squad including a keeper available. Given that we were down to just 15 before any new issues, it's very likely that we now don't have 13. And given the way in which covid spreads and the timing of tests, it's very possible that Liverpool will end up having even more positive tests in the next couple of days too, which are likely to include youth team players that will no doubt be training with the first team right now anyway.

I appreciate that you're looking at this from a purely selfish point of view and what's best for you but those are the rules. Again, I could not care less whether the game is postponed or forfeited but the above is the reasons why Liverpool will have requested the game to be postponed. The sooner the League Cup is scrapped the better though. Even EFL sides leave players out for League Cup games now. It's only purpose is to prop up the EFL tv rights, which is why we have 2 legged semi's.

Don
Any postponed game has to be played before the next round, which was impossible for Leyton Orient (the same reason why Spurs had to forfeit their Europa Conference game). There's 6-7 weeks until the final to fit in any resheduled game.

The biggest reason why this game will almost certainly not be forfeited is because of TV money. Nobody cares if a 4th round game that isn't televised gets scrapped. If a 2 legged semi final gets scrapped then Sky will be asking the EFL to compensate them and the EFL won't want (nor could afford) to do that.

Caporegime
Well if it is postponed I think they should just switch the ties. Play the first leg at Anfield next week, then the second leg week commencing 17 Jan.

That’s providing the EPL don’t reschedule our Wolves fixture for that week.

Don
Play a one off tie at Wembley. The FA could do with a bit of extra rent coming in the door and it solves any scheduling headache for both sides.

Back
Top Bottom