Carabao Cup - Semi Finals ** Spoilers ** [5/12/13/20 January 2022]

Man of Honour
OP
Rudiger was playing him on no?

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

Usually the 2nd last opponent is the last defender because there's normally a GK behind him. As the keeper is ahead of 2 defenders, the line gets drawn from the 2nd last opponent which is a defender in this case.

It's rare but not the first time it's happened.

Don
It's going to be interesting to see how we set-up tonight. A front 3 of Minamino, Jota and Firmino lacks the width and pace that we usually get with Salah and Mane in the side. I wonder whether we tweak the system slightly and play more of a 4-4-2 diamond with Taki dropping deeper behind Jota & Firmino.

Other than how the front line sets up, the only other decision is in goal. In normal circumstances I'm sure Kelleher would keep his place but with Alisson missing the last couple of games due to covid, that would mean he wouldn't have played in 3 weeks which isn't ideal.

Caporegime
Pretty annoyed at the fact we’re missing, ESR, Odegaard and Tomiyasu.
Hopefully Xhaka’s back because I don’t want to see the Lokonga/Patino midfield partnership for a long time yet.

it’s an absolute disgrace this. We’re missing some of our best players while Liverpool have a full squad apart from the AFCON players which we are suffering from too.

Last edited:
Don
We have a few injuries too Rob. Thiago, Origi and Elliott are all out - the latter two might not be headline grabbing injuries but being already without Salah and Mane, they'd have both likely featured.

Caporegime
They’re nowhere near as important to the team as Arsenals missing players are.

Liverpool have blatantly got an advantage by pushing the tie back. I’d rather we just forfeited now to stick two fingers up to the EFL and cost them a load of cash.

Soldato
Pretty annoyed at the fact we’re missing, ESR, Odegaard and Tomiyasu.
Hopefully Xhaka’s back because I don’t want to see the Lokonga/Patino midfield partnership for a long time yet.

it’s an absolute disgrace this. We’re missing some of our best players while Liverpool have a full squad apart from the AFCON players which we are suffering from too.
But these are just normal injuries aren't they, rather than covid? It's one thing if a squad is blitzed by covid. It's another if they just have injury problems, which all clubs have to contend with from time to time - look at Liverpool last season for example.

Caporegime
But these are just normal injuries aren't they, rather than covid? It's one thing if a squad is blitzed by covid. It's another if they just have injury problems, which all clubs have to contend with from time to time - look at Liverpool last season for example.
The whole situation is galling though. Teams are now starting to get advantages from Covid postponements. Why should the opponents have to suffer?I think it’s time we started to treat Covid as we do other illnesses like colds and flu

Soldato
The whole situation is galling though. Teams are now starting to get advantages from Covid postponements. Why should the opponents have to suffer?I think it’s time we started to treat Covid as we do other illnesses like colds and flu
Because legally players cannot play if they have covid. Whereas from a legal perspective, a player can play if he has a cold, flu, or even a broken leg.

Edit: and whether teams gain advantages is pot luck. If the postponements had fallen differently we could be looking at a situation where a player could not have made the original date, but can make this match

Last edited:
Associate
Because legally players cannot play if they have covid. Whereas from a legal perspective, a player can play if he has a cold, flu, or even a broken leg.

Edit: and whether teams gain advantages is pot luck. If the postponements had fallen differently we could be looking at a situation where a player could not have made the original date, but can make this match

Atleast one of Arsenals missing players is covid, how many were actually covid from Liverpool in the end after the 6 "false positives"? I'd say not enough to stop the game.

Liverpool have benefited hugely after all their efforts to get the game postponed, it does make a mockery of the whole situation. Arsenal might as well forfeit now for what they have available, let Liverpool have it, a hollow victory won away from the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom