Carbohydrates of Which Sugars

Associate
Hi All,

So i've finally taken the step of tracking my macros!! Its really interesting how much you learn when tracking what your eating!

I have a question concerning carbohydrates.

If i need to eat 250g of carbohydrates per day - does this include carbohydrates of which sugars?

Example is tomatoes - 100g has 3.1g of carbs or which 3.1g is sugars. So does this count as 3.1g towards my daily target or 0?

Also is there a limit of how much carbs of which sugars you should eat per day? All the searching i have done only uncovers added sugar limits, but not carbohydrates of which sugars.

At the moment i'm tracking around 40g carbohydrates of which sugars from 250g of carbs.

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
^

That. I never bother even looking at sugars, I just track total carbs. Fibrous carbs are something you can either include or not include, just be consistent. In the UK it's got it's own bit on the label so I don't count fiber as part of my carb intake (even though some of it will be absorbed, it's not going to be a massive difference in overall calories).

I wouldn't worry about limits; if the majority of your carbohydrate intake comes from what most people would label 'healthy' food then that side of things will sort itself out and you don't really need to think about it. It would only be an issue if you were getting a ton of your carb intake from sugary drinks or something and even then the issue there would be more on the side of the overall diet lacking micronutrients and food volume/satiety than zomg sugarrrrr!!!1.

Associate
OP
Thanks - thats a really interesting point i had not considered.

I've been eating oat bran for breakfast recently with blackberries. Mainly to help reduce bad cholesterol levels and boost my vitamins - although i know cholesterol is needed to make testosterone.

I was going to count the carbs from both towards my daily target. I've also been adding a lot of beans / legumes to my basmati rice to boost my carb and protein intake.

However all of those are highly fibrous - i'm living in Singapore at the moment, but i've created a s/s of all my food macros by looking them up on the uk online supermarkets! :) - although many do not state fibrious carbs.

If i understand what your saying correctly - i should not include the fibrious carbs - as the carb target is basically and energy target and fibre has no energy that the body can utilise.

Does that mean its better to meet my carb target through fruits which have a higher sugar content than rice, beans, legumes?

Or does the carbs from fruits get released too quickly that the body cant absorb / use it all before it gets flushed out?

That would then imply a mix of fast release carbs (fruits / even raw sugar) and slow release carbs (rice, beans, legumes)?

Many thanks

Soldato
Thanks - thats a really interesting point i had not considered.

I've been eating oat bran for breakfast recently with blackberries. Mainly to help reduce bad cholesterol levels and boost my vitamins - although i know cholesterol is needed to make testosterone.

I was going to count the carbs from both towards my daily target. I've also been adding a lot of beans / legumes to my basmati rice to boost my carb and protein intake.

However all of those are highly fibrous - i'm living in Singapore at the moment, but i've created a s/s of all my food macros by looking them up on the uk online supermarkets! :) - although many do not state fibrious carbs.

If i understand what your saying correctly - i should not include the fibrious carbs - as the carb target is basically and energy target and fibre has no energy that the body can utilise.

Does that mean its better to meet my carb target through fruits which have a higher sugar content than rice, beans, legumes?

Or does the carbs from fruits get released too quickly that the body cant absorb / use it all before it gets flushed out?

That would then imply a mix of fast release carbs (fruits / even raw sugar) and slow release carbs (rice, beans, legumes)?

Many thanks

Some fibre is soluable, some isn't, BUT it's not really a big deal though and more of a consistency thing in terms of how you track. Basically pick one and stick with it for everything, so if you do include fibre in your total carb intake, include it for all foods. It would be a needless layer of complexity to start tracking which foods have soluable fibre and which ones don't (or dividing them further into viscous and non-viscous!). Macro targets are just something to aim at, and if you eat the same sort of foods frequently and log them the same way, it doesn't matter if some things are out because any inconsistencies are consistent (if that makes sense). This then makes making adjustments easy; if losing too fast, eat more, if losing too slow, eat less. Basically, don't overthink it.

Also, the body is really good at not wasting stuff (you've an evolutionary survival machine) and glycemic index is largely irrelevent at the best of times, even more so if you're consuming a mixed meal of protein/carb/fat (as it all gets churned up together during digestion). Just apply common sense with things like meal timing, e.g. not eating a massive meal before exercise, consuming protein at some point around the time you train.

Man of Honour
Soluble fibre reduces absorption of carbs, thus reduces levels of blood glucose & insulin. So basically fibre reduced both glucose and insulin spikes, despite consuming exactly the same amount of carbs. fibre is actually known as an anti nutrient which is quite interesting.

Nearly all plant-based foods in their unrefined state (i.e. not processed, and just natural) contains fibre - from research it seems that this is "natures" way of protecting us from detrimental effects of certain foods.

Unfortunately in modern society and processing of foods both fibre and fat (which are key important ingredients) are removed in that processing. Generally, fibre is removed to change texture and enhance/change the tastes. Also almost always, natural fats (i.e. good fats) are removed. This is done generally to preserve the food as fats tend to go off / rancid over time.

As an example of modern processing, white flour nowadays has virtually all the natural fibre and fat removed. This leads us to have a "naked" carb, this in turn causes those high insulin spikes. So carbs of that kind ingested without the fibre or fat which act as a protective effect.

Whilst unprocessed and "whole" carbs almost always contain decent levels of dietary fibre, dietary proteins and fats contain almost no fibre. We have evolved to digest protein-based and fatty foods without the need for fibre.

Each specific component of the food isn't the problem these days, but generally is the overall balance of the foods we eat.

Imagine we buy a cake (mmm cake :cool: ), generally it will contain butter, eggs, flour and sugar (and chocolate dammit,... it needs chocolate!!).

Okay, we have our cake... Now if we were to remove the flour and double the number of eggs instead... I can assure you that the cake won't be a cake, and probably won't be nice (unless it has chocolate).

We all know that eggs are not bad, and that flour is not necessarily good, but, what has happened here is that the balance is off (whether natural or not - but I believe there's a reason why these balances exist). My point is, that this point holds true for carbs. The whole combination of unrefined carbs, carbs, fat, protein with fibre, is not necessarily bad. However removing everything except the carbs may **** up the balance and IMO could make it harmful to health, or at least potentially not as good as eating a normal cake vs all this **** that is sold nowadays.

Another reason for people getting fat, overeating etc... is the removal of protein and fats in many foods. There are studies to suggest that this may lead to overconsumption.

For a bit of science, we have satiety hormones (called, peptptide YY, cholecystokin (? can't remember the spelling)) these are triggered in response to fats and protein. So eating pure carbohydrate shouldn't trigger these hormone releases and could lead to overeating.

A glass of orange juice needs around 4-5 oranges at a guess (oranges are healthy right?). However, have you tried to to eat 4-5 oranges? If you try to eat 4-5 oranges with all the fibreous material, pulp etc, you'd struggle or at least feel fuller than you would drinking 4-5 oranges. By drinking the juice you're only drinking the carb part of it, thus discarding the rest. So in one hit, you're likely over consuming that carb without even realising. This can lead to another problem. Pure carbs result your digestion being accelerated. This in turn leads to a rapid rise in blood glucose which leads to a rapid rise in insulin.

The food is not to blame but the processing of the foods. This is why fibreous foods are so important to balance out a modern western diet.

Too many people base their foods on their macronutrient content. A lot of this hides potential oversight of the dangers of highly refined foods. The problem lies where things like whole grains, vegetables for example are classed as carbs, which is where sugar is classified. Processed/refined and unrefined carbohydrates are not equal.

Back
Top Bottom