Career advice

Soldato
I have been eager to pursue a career related to animal care since I was a young teen and time is looking right for a career move. I left school with good GCSEs and went on to study a National Diploma in Animal Management. This involved working with a vast variety of animals including; livestock, small mammals, exotics and aquatics.

The role I have long been interested in is an RSPCA Inspector. I have read many articles and programs relating to the role and I really feel it's the career for me! When I was in my last year of college I looked at the entry requirements for an RSPCA Inspector which are:
  1. Minimum of 5 GCSE A-C Passes/O levels and relevant experience
  2. Interpersonal skills, preferably in controlling confrontational situations, are essential
  3. Experience of working with animals is desirable.
  4. Physically fit - able to swim 50 metres fully clothed.
  5. Valid driving licence

After I left college I knew I couldn't go straight into the RSPCA as I met all the above requirements except 'Interpersonal skills, preferably in controlling confrontational situations, are essential'. After phoning the RSPCA career advice line they advised me PCSO work is looked upon highly. I applied to become a PCSO with The Met and was successful. I have enjoyed 12 months of my current job but I feel now I have enough experience to apply for the position.

Competition for the job is fierce and only a few positions open up a year with thousands of applicants. I check the RSPCA's current vacancies website everyday waiting for Inspector positions to crop up but nothing :(.

I've started this thread in the hope that someone out there with experiene with the RSPCA or any other animal related careers has any advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would have said Vet/vet nurse, but I know vet nurses don't earn over £20k, I do know it's not a terrible wage, but don't think it's over £20k, and as for Vet itself, there's obviously a lot of training to go through.

Soldato
OP
I would have said Vet/vet nurse, but I know vet nurses don't earn over £20k, I do know it's not a terrible wage, but don't think it's over £20k, and as for Vet itself, there's obviously a lot of training to go through.

I could never be a vet or vet nurse after I completed 6 weeks work experience in a veterinary surgery, I didn't like being coped up in a surgery and the environment. I would prefer not to go back to studying as well.

Soldato
well that's fair enough, you could look into other organisations too, rspb or something? any zoos near you that you could help in? again, I doubt the salary will be as good, but more ideas?

Soldato
OP
well that's fair enough, you could look into other organisations too, rspb or something? any zoos near you that you could help in? again, I doubt the salary will be as good, but more ideas?

I never thought of the RSPB. I'm not to sure of other smaller animal charities so I'm going to Google

Man of Honour
A bit of a leap, but have you considered working somewhere like a zoo? I imagine that would be very rewarding if you are an animal lover, although I'm not sure of the career prospects.

Soldato
Zoo work appeals to me but the pay is horrendous, I would have to get a second job.

Generally speaking the pay is horrendous in most animal care related careers. The only exception is if you are at the absolute top of the game. Which would mean you'd need a degree in either 'zoology' or 'animal science'.

There's a whole bunch of options open to you if you're determined to go down that route though. I'd suggest a national diploma in Animal Care followed by a degree in animal science.

I wouldn't recommend RSPCA officer. It's largely dealing with ******* chavs, and it's not exactly a career which leads anywhere in the long run. You're better off gunning for the top, or going into a different line of work (especially at your age).

Soldato
OP
Generally speaking the pay is horrendous in most animal care related careers. The only exception is if you are at the absolute top of the game. Which would mean you'd need a degree in either 'zoology' or 'animal science'.

There's a whole bunch of options open to you if you're determined to go down that route though. I'd suggest a national diploma in Animal Care followed by a degree in animal science.

I wouldn't recommend RSPCA officer. It's largely dealing with ******* chavs, and it's not exactly a career which leads anywhere in the long run. You're better off gunning for the top, or going into a different line of work (especially at your age).

Thanks for the informative post Seek :). I'll look into the degree in Animal Science or Zoology, I'm not keen on the thought of going back to studying but it might be a case of I have to.

Soldato
Thanks for the informative post Seek :). I'll look into the degree in Animal Science or Zoology, I'm not keen on the thought of going back to studying but it might be a case of I have to.

an ex of mine used to volunteer at a vet surgery, they then paid for her to take night courses on becoming a vet nurse, helped with her work and gave her a job etc

Back
Top Bottom