Career advice.

Associate
Hi all,

Hoping someone can provide some advice, insight or next steps in trying to progress my career.

Quick background:

I'm 27 and graduated in 2015 with a B.Sc in Geography and since then I've worked as a manufacturing administrator and data analyst for a year, vetting officer for 7 months and I am currently working as a compliance officer on a 12 month FTC for a law firm on £22.5k which I started last month.

Ideally I'd like to work in the environment sector (conservation, sustainability, energy, flood defence etc) or do something 'outdoorsy' like surveying. When applying for jobs in this sector, even 'trainee' roles, I seem to lack the experience employees are after.

One route I have been thinking of going down is the health and safety route, as often this coincides with managing the environment/sustainability part of the company and I do have a genuine interest in health and safety so some sort of HSE role I think would be ideal. I also got my IEMA certificate in Environmental Management last year.

Of course I'd need to study for a H&S qualification, which I'm currently looking into, mostly by looking at current HSE roles and seeing what qualifications employers are asking for. I suppose my only reservation is, is that I really need to start earning more money as we have quite a lot of debts and a mortgage and the wife wants to have kids soon and this isn't going to happen if I keep changing roles/sectors so I need to really settle on something and go for it.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has gone down the same route or got any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Not that helpful, but a friend ended up getting a temp/fixed term job abroad.
I hope it wasn't anything to do with the environment in America - Trump will have him out of a job.

Someone I know from school with a geography degree works for the environment agency. No idea on salaries though. It took him a few years to get that job after qualifying.

Caporegime
Ideally I'd like to work in the environment sector (conservation, sustainability, energy, flood defence etc) or do something 'outdoorsy' like surveying. When applying for jobs in this sector, even 'trainee' roles, I seem to lack the experience employees are after.

is there not some alternative way of gaining some experience, did your course not have contacts with employers offering internships/jobs etc..?

Is it feasible to volunteer with charities or something with regards to conservation etc..?

(sorry not much to add, just adding a couple of thoughts to the thread as there haven't been many replies)

Soldato
With your degree I would look for a part time masters for one of the following professions

Quantity Surveyor
Building Surveyor
Land Surveyor

QS will probably be the best paid over the medium to long term - but is the least oudoorsy.

There are shortages right now for all 3 of these professions - but all are heavily related to the construction sector which is typically less resiliant to shocks to the economy. However we have some massive infrastructure projects happening right now in the UK so getting into a rail related construction firm such as Wates or Balfor could be a smart move if you have no faith in brexit, energy related stuff would also be a smart move.

You can do a single year in higher education and walk away with a post graduate diploma, or stay an extra year, complete a dissertation and end up with a full fat MSc. Later on you can do something like RICS - though to be honest a lot of people end up with good jobs without having to do the RICs path, especially if your at a sub contractor or construction firm rather than a professional consultancy hawking out Surveryors.

I think both Halifax and Barclays offer what they term 'Graduate development loans' to cover the cost if you can't find a trainee position somewhere that will put you forward for it - you may want to pay it yourself anyway to avoid being tied to a single.employer on poor terms for a few years (which is typical of training type contracts).

Your degree will do you well in this field.

Where are you based? An extremely large percentage of total activity for the sector is in the South East (unsurprisingly!)

Caporegime
I think both Halifax and Barclays offer what they term 'Graduate development loans' to cover the cost if you can't find a trainee position somewhere that will put you forward for it - you may want to pay it yourself anyway to avoid being tied to a single.employer on poor terms for a few years (which is typical of training type contracts).

as of a year ago the government offer loans for masters qualification too btw..

Back
Top Bottom