Carphone Warehouse Slow Refunds

Soldato
For the second time I've changed my mind on a Click and Collect from Carphone Warehouse. For the second time they've not actually bothered to give me my refund.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips on the best way to chase this up and also is this a common thing? Can we do anything about it?

It does make me think they do it intentionally to hold of to money a little longer.

Man of Honour
28 days rings a bell when it comes to a legal timeframe to issue a refund so unless they're really dragging their feet there's not a lot you can do.

Soldato
OP
Okay, thanks. I've sent an e-mail with my order number and complaint, but I guess I wait two more weeks to see if they do it.

Any tips on threats I can make if it's not done by then would be welcome :)

Thanks.

Soldato
It took them around a month to refund me a few years ago. They promised they would do it within 5 days or so but I had to keep bugging them. It did happen eventually.

I think tom_e is right about the 28 days period, but you can check the legislation online. If it's longer than that threaten them with the law, or get your card company involved to do a chargeback.

Associate
How long exactly has it been?

I know that (back when I worked there) if we as a shop had to do anything like big refunds and the like, we'd have to make an extensive report of the situation as a ticket, then people at HQ would look at those tickets. Honestly it could take up to a week before we ever even got a reply and then it was mostly just them asking for info that was either irrelevant or already given.

Then, depending on the situation they would contact the right manufacturer/ carrier/ the actual people that have to carry out the actual refund. I imagine this will be very much a similar system...

Very slow and painful process, so yes... good luck with that.
Please stay kind to the people from the shops etc if you have them on the phone though, cause honestly it's frustrating for them too.

Soldato
OP
Ordered 25/8
Cancelled 31/8 (When they admitted the delivery date given was not possible)

The lady I spoke to on the phone even took my card details as she said she couldn't simply refund to the one I paid with. Quite why I've already paid for a Click and Collect that never even got delivered seems rather off in itself.

Associate
Ordered 25/8
Cancelled 31/8 (When they admitted the delivery date given was not possible)

The lady I spoke to on the phone even took my card details as she said she couldn't simply refund to the one I paid with. Quite why I've already paid for a Click and Collect that never even got delivered seems rather off in itself.

Well obviously the Note 7 release got delayed due to the battery issues so they can't give you a phone they don't have.

That is weird though, over here whenever somebody ordered anything on the site it'd just mean that we'd keep one in stock with their name on it. They still had to pay for it when they came to collect it in the shop.

2 weeks is long to wait for £700 but it seems to be going as normal. Just wait it out a bit more and remind them of the legal 28 day period they have. Also as Michael said it might be worth going into a physical store as they can call HQ right then and there.

Soldato
OP
Well obviously the Note 7 release got delayed due to the battery issues so they can't give you a phone they don't have.

No it didn't. It was released as planned.

2 weeks is long to wait for £700 but it seems to be going as normal. Just wait it out a bit more and remind them of the legal 28 day period they have. Also as Michael said it might be worth going into a physical store as they can call HQ right then and there.

Tbh, if I actually have to go in to a shop to sort this, I will be very annoyed and the poor person in the shop will have to then receive my anger, so I'd rather they just fix it as they should.

Soldato
Thanks for the tip, I've shopped there for years and may re-consider in the future now. Obviously I haven't returned anything to date, but it will happen at some point.

Associate
With my recent refund due to the Note 7 issues, they told me initially that they would refund through a paper check, i was flawed and refused this method of refund and had to be transferred to another department who had to take my CC details again to refund to the same CC that i initially paid with, as apparently due to DPA they are not allowed to store the CC details on file.

Best to give them a call and push through the refund, my refund then came through in 3 days.

Soldato
OP
I'll wait and see what happens from my e-mail. I'm in no hurry and if I have to make much effort for this simple refund, it will annoy me more than it already has, and again, someone might get an earful to make me feel better.

Associate
For the second time I've changed my mind on a Click and Collect from Carphone Warehouse. For the second time they've not actually bothered to give me my refund.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips on the best way to chase this up and also is this a common thing? Can we do anything about it?

It does make me think they do it intentionally to hold of to money a little longer.
I am also waiting for a refund from Carphone Warehouse which I cancelled the item, 29 August , now20th September, still not refunded. They sent an email 15th saying they are sending it and 15 pounds goodwill.

Back
Top Bottom