Cars Around 20k That Are Not So Likely To Depreciate?

Associate
Given the inflation and shortages happening causing used car prices to skyrocket which cars would be recommended for someone who has to upgrade but doesn't feel so good about paying a rip off price for the replacement?

My current car is an 09 and there is a lot of rust underneath. The spring just snapped and looking under the car with a camera it's only gonna keep getting worse.

Lets limit this to all generic and performance cars around the 20k mark, no classics/rust magnets like JDM but normal cars you see as not so bad to pay an inflated price for because you think they will hold value fairly.

I was thinking Golf R because it's an enthusiast car, usually well maintained and with the push to electric might retain it's market in the future.

Not sure how well diesels would fair.

How about vans? With everyone being priced out of houses people are gonna start living in their vans.

On the other hand performance BMWs like M4s seem to be crashing in value over the last few years :confused:

Caporegime
Given the inflation and shortages happening causing used car prices to skyrocket which cars would be recommended for someone who has to upgrade but doesn't feel so good about paying a rip off price for the replacement?

My current car is an 09 and there is a lot of rust underneath. The spring just snapped and looking under the car with a camera it's only gonna keep getting worse.

Lets limit this to all generic and performance cars around the 20k mark, no classics/rust magnets like JDM but normal cars you see as not so bad to pay an inflated price for because you think they will hold value fairly.

I was thinking Golf R because it's an enthusiast car, usually well maintained and with the push to electric might retain it's market in the future.

Not sure how well diesels would fair.

How about vans? With everyone being priced out of houses people are gonna start living in their vans.

On the other hand performance BMWs like M4s seem to be crashing in value over the last few years :confused:

These are all crap options. The M4 might go up at some point, but if you want proper residuals, get something naturally aspirated with either a 6 or 8 cylinder, a manual 'box and as analogue as possible. All the cars you mentioned are fast, but ultimately souped up versions of cooking cars. Get something special, rare, unique.

Dougie did a vid recently which might interest you:

Soldato
if you put mileage on any car then it‘s likely to lose value.
E.g. Low miles E39 M5‘s go up to £50k, but bottom of the market high milers can be had for less than £5k

if you’re planning it to be a daily driver then just get something you like.

Caporegime
E92 M3 same. But scared to say that as Fox will jump down my throat cause he thinks im obsessed with them - really I’ve driven a lot of cars and they stand out.

Obviously bear in mind you may not lose money on the car but you will be paying £600+ a year to tax the damn things (worth it though just for that engine )

I paid 29.5k for my mint one in 2017 on 32k miles. Now 62k and probably only lost a few k but on the rise

Soldato
E92 M3 same. But scared to say that as Fox will jump down my throat cause he thinks im obsessed with them - really I’ve driven a lot of cars and they stand out.

Obviously bear in mind you may not lose money on the car but you will be paying £600+ a year to tax the damn things (worth it though just for that engine )

I paid 29.5k for my mint one in 2017 on 32k miles. Now 62k and probably only lost a few k but on the rise

Agreed the e92 M3 I had for 5 years was a cut above the rest :)

Soldato

Seems ironic from the 5 series diesel messiah

Caporegime
s2000. £20k would get you a decent one and only likely to be worth more and more as the years go on.
Im their biggest fan. But I wouldn’t be spending £20k on one.

Although I saw Gibbo on sat and his old S2000 is in DT performance for £20k ish I think

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom