Cars with... "Class"

Soldato
I'm always impressed by anything that's a good few years old but looks mint - says a lot about the "class" of the person who owns it in my mind. Prime example is an old J reg BMW I used to see a lot - nothing special, but an immaculate car that clearly had a proud and caring owner.

Soldato
everyone knows posh people drive these.
2008_subaru_legacy_outback_2.5_xt.jpg

Caporegime
Really? All of the those I see are either tatty, clearly abused examples or sporting black out window tints and replica 19" Alloy wheels.

I know what you mean, the downside of the peanuts prices they go for....
For the purposes of this thread, I'm thinking of the (admittedly few) tidy examples.....

Permabanned
For me nothing modern is classy, as many people have money now, new flash cars are in abundance, when I were a wee nipper, we never used to see posh cars (not in Dudley anyway) but nowadays loads and loads.

I think old cars do give of that air of class, as they seem just a that bit special, and the owners/drivers tend to be people who are money people who are into cars, rather than money people into 'flash'.

That said, if i ever win the lottery, i'd not really give a **** if people thought my s500 was classy or not :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Some examples:

Yes:
- Aston's, any
- Audi A8
- BMW 6, 8 series, Z8 and new Z4 (looks brill)
- Citroen C6 and old DS
- Jag XF and XJ, simply wonderous
- Maseratis
- Older Mercs, e.g. 300s, SLs
- Older 911s (e.g. 964)

No:
- Any hot hatch
- Anthing American or Japanese
- Anything from Audi with the exception of the A8
- Anything from BMW, with the exceptions already listed above
- Any new French car
- Jag X type and XK, both a bit gash
- Almost any Merc, see exceptions above. Most are now bling mobiles built to compete with Audi
- Any post 2k Porsche. They need to age, like a decent wine and be driven by enthusiasts as against posseurs. Clearly some of the newer owners are enthusiasts, but as you can't tell the difference, you have to assume the worst

My opinion on this is that to have a degree of "class", a car needs to have elevated itself well above being a functional white good (which excludes anything sensible or built down to a price), and have the ability to feel "special", which most cars fail to do miserably.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sorry, now updated. As mentioned, I really don't like most modern Mercs. Making up up for that, have a soft spot for Mercs like the old SLs and 300s.

Associate
What I have seen lately

Classy = Bentley convertible.
Vintage 7 series down the road

Not classy = Cayenne
Any Range Rover
Anything with a Vauxhall badge

Porsche's I am torn on. They were classy till I saw some bald chap in a convertible Boxster razzing it away from the traffic lights.

Back
Top Bottom