Cars with Dubai plates

Associate
I have noticed a great increase in cars with Dubai or Bahrain number plates around London and recently a friend was hit at speed by the wingmirror of a white 745 as he was walking on the pavement, severely bruising his arm.

This car's tags were all in arabic so he had no chance of recording the plate. How can the police track these cars at all?

Does anyone know what the laws are on this

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a big thing on tv about a year or so ago about how all the JDM cars including the 4x4's pajeros etc get stolen and because it is very difficult to own a stolen car in japan but easy to export they all get rung through dubai before coming into the UK. Basically the jap insurers were starting to come to the UK and were finding masses of them, many on legitimate forecourts with dealers non the wiser. I'm sure they said nearly 1 in 10 pajeros and Shoguns etc was stolen and the police were impounding them with no recourse open to new owners.

Soldato
jamoor said:
shipping anything takes a good few weeks - a flight takes a few hours :p
he could have drove!

Seems mad to me, why pay an innordinate ammount driving across africa and europe so you can have a car available in Uk rather than just hiring or even buying one when you get off the plane. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Dodgy imports or even legal ones explains it better I reckon.

Suspended
Do you spend much time in London?

A lot of the cars on arab plates are rather special, either something they couldn't buy over here, or something which has been customised (as the arabs will do...look at the black/orange Veyron and matching Flying Spur). When they're spending 3-4 months over here in the summer they seem to like to have their own cars here.

Associate
darko said:
Iand recently a friend was hit at speed by the wingmirror of a white 745 as he was walking on the pavement, severely bruising his arm.

This car's tags were all in arabic so he had no chance of recording the plate. How can the police track these cars at all?

Does anyone know what the laws are on this

These things happen mate, chances are the driver didn't realise he hit your friend, if he has an idea of where the car is usually parked then maybe he coudl have a word with the driver about it.

Soldato
Nozzer said:
Do you spend much time in London?

A lot of the cars on arab plates are rather special, either something they couldn't buy over here, or something which has been customised (as the arabs will do...look at the black/orange Veyron and matching Flying Spur). When they're spending 3-4 months over here in the summer they seem to like to have their own cars here.

Yup, they are quite often rare or well specced cars. Why come over here and drive around in shoddy hire cars when you can just use your customised white carrera gt?

Suspended
They probably chip in with their mates for the cost of the air freight too. And if there's a little space left in the Antonov, why not throw in a few 'normal' 7 series' too? After all, what's £10k?

Soldato
Flying them over here definitely strikes a chord with me as the best explanation. When I got my windows tinted, the guy was saying that because they have a decent reputation (they do some quasi-armour plating type stuff too), the Arabs get their fleets of cars and jeeps flown over just to get them done with him in little old Chertsey in Surrey. Costs them tens if not hundreds of thousands to get it done when it could be much cheaper elsewhere I would guess, but they want the best and to be seen in the best. They have so much money that flying their individual motors over for the summer would seem like a drop in the ocean to them when compared with the kudos of being seen driving them around London village.

Associate
OP
I couldnt give a toss about wealthy Arabs bringing their trashy cars over here.

Trojan is the only one who has got the correct end of the stick.

Im concerned that they are allowed to drive with arabic number-plates and i was asking if anyone knew the law concerning this. do they fall under some sort of immunity?

Suspended
They won't be prosecuted for any sort of traffic offence, it'd be a diplomatic nightmare. They bring so much money to the area (staying in The Dorchester for months etc) it just wouldn't happen :).

Speak to the police to get an official line, but they won't do anything.

Soldato
jamoor said:
What details? It's all in arabic?

The ones i see epsecially along Edgware road in London is always written in arabic. If you are lucky the only thing you will be able to read is "United Arab emirate" or UAE.

EDIT

Something like this
uae-ad_206.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom