1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cartoons about Mohammed

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by cleanbluesky, Jan 27, 2006.

1. anarchist

PermaBanned

I was just talking about the "free speech" angle, not the inciting violence thing.

Why? Surely a faith is defined by its followers?

2. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

No, they offer one definition and it can be incongruent with how that faith is actually manifest

3. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Nope, that is just an opinion against an ideology - like saying Labour is crap.

4. anarchist

PermaBanned

That is the crux though isn't it - since I was talking about libel and slander laws. Very hard, and a grey area, when it comes to subjective things like religion though. If I said "Jesus was gay" then that's probably quite inflammatory but hard to prove whether it's libellous or not.

5. anarchist

PermaBanned

Who is "they"?

6. Mr.Clark

Wise Guy

Huzzah :D

Well it was made up 1400-odd years ago, so I'd say that "old" is pretty much a given.

As books go, the Koran is quite big, so "a load" seems pretty accurate as well.

Crap is subjective, but if I'm allowed to say that the Harry Potter books are crap, then why not the Koran?

So in answer to your question, no, I think you should be legally allowed to say that and get away with it. After all, they say it's not, why can't you retort?

To be honest, I'd rather be hounded by the authorities than by the sorts of people that carry signs saying "Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion"... :eek:

7. manoz

Soldato

You would have to read a book b4 you can say it's crap.

8. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

You know, them...

[quote='narchist]Why? Surely a faith is defined by its followers?[/quote]

9. VIRII

PermaBanned

Isn't a synopsis enough? Especially if you disagree with the basic premise of the book?

10. manoz

Soldato

Where's this synopsis you talk of? Reading it all, preferably in it's native language(by learning it) is best of course but English can suffice. Quran is not enough though tbh, ahadith are where its at too.

11. VIRII

PermaBanned

Yet Mohammed did not write the hadith did he :) It seems strange to me that the direct word of god given to mohammed by god requires additional hadith........ did god forget a bit?

You want a synopsis of the koran? God speaks to man 1500 years ago and tells him exactly how he wants everyone to live.

12. RDM

Capodecina

Jesus might cause some issues there. He was dead, but got better.

13. manoz

Soldato

I didn't say they were and they are not and they are just supplements offering more detail, some of them don't even have anything to do with the Quran, they could be thought provoking stories and all sorts etc

If that synopsis is your honest impression then you seem more of an example then any of one who needs/should to read it.

14. RDM

Capodecina

I have read a reasonable amount of the Koran (an English translation I am afraid) and can reasonably say that as a book, it is lacking. Structure is poor, characterisation is awful, writing style leaves a lot to be desired and the plot was a bit old fashioned...

15. manoz

Soldato

Bwahaha, that's just the consequence of reading a translated version. It's very flowing and poetic in ancient arabic but it's bloody hard to learn.

16. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Why are you laughing?

You can read ancient Arabic?

17. manoz

Soldato

I dunno why I was laughing :/, yeah I can read it but understanding it in terms of ancient arabic and not my native language of English is a totally different matter. I would have to know where all the words come from,proper meanings and context and and be able to think from the arabic perspective but that takes years of dedicated study maybe a lifetime.

18. Van_Dammesque

Wise Guy

So you base YOUR LIFE upon a book of this nature?

EDIT: Forgive my promptness, are you a muslim scholar if so then my question stands, if not I apologise!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  19. manoz

Soldato

I'm no muslim scholar, if only there were the time!

20. Van_Dammesque

Wise Guy

Do you believe in Allah?