Case fans.... need to change things up

Soldato
OK, so I got Fractal Define R3, which I initially got cause I wanted things quiet.

They were, but then I went crossfire, and while I can still have silence, that pretty much only when I have cards at stock or with low OC.

Otherwise, for a decent OC, I need the side 140mm Scythe Kama Flex fan pelting out as much as it can, but it gets noisy.

Then I have 2 fractal silent 120mm fans as intake, which I am sure won't be pulling through a lot of air, and only one fractal 120mm exhaust.

I do have another 140mm (Sharkoon system power fan) in bottom, which surprisingly isn't too noisy at full pelt, but not sure how much it's pulling through with filter and all.

So was thinking of doing either of the following:
1)
replace all fans with Prolimatech vortex blue - so 2 x 120mm intake, 1 x 120mm exhaust, 1 140mm bottom and 2 x 140mm top.
Plus was going to put one of the aluminium prolimatech fans on side intake, and adjust according to noise.

But that's like £100 on fans :(

2) Replace front 120's with bitfenix spectre pro's, add 2 x 140mm fractal silent 140's to top, leave current 140mm in bottom.
Plus then stick prolimatech aluminium on side which I can adjust to noise preference.

That will cost about £60

Do you think either of these will improve things while not being too noisy? I can handle some noise from fans, but not huge amounts.

Any other suggestions?

Associate
I'm using one of these an Akasa AK-F2230SM for the side fan in a Fractal Arc:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-044-AK

It's quite quiet, 600rpm & shifts just under 100CFM and on it's own reduced the temp of a passively cooled graphics card by 10 degrees or 25% (at idle). It's a 220mm fan with 170mm fittings which attached nicely to the 140mm screw holes in the side of the arc with cable ties.

Also using two Phantek PH-F140's & one of the spare Fractal 140mm's as intakes on the front 2 ports and bottom, a Fractal 140mm as an exhaust at the rear, another Fractal 140mm as a top exhaust & the Corsair H100 with the standard Corsair 120mm fans taking up the last 2 slots on the top of the case.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh & if you download and install CPUID's HWMonitor it will give you a live view of how many RPM's each fan is spinning with & without filters or anything that might be impeding airflow. From there it's simply a case of working out Actual RPM vs MAX RPM as a fraction to get an estimated figure of how much air in CFM any fan is moving. (Obviously you can only calculate this if you know the MAX any fan claims to move.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately the Define R3 doesn't support such large side fans...

Decided to just go with option 2. Probably mad spending the amount to get the prolimatech 140mm aluminium, as doubt will be running it full speed, but hey ho.

Hopefully it was a good choice....

Soldato
OP
Considering how often I somehow land up getting bloodied when working on PC (looks at poor right hand), I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow managed it.

The grill will DEFINITELY be put in place :D

Back
Top Bottom