Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Caporegime
Lived in Sweden 8 years. I barely know what Swedish money looks like it's used so rarely.
Only time I see people with cash is at Lidl and it's the asylum immigrant types paying for shopping.

Soldato
People pay with cash because it's easier for them to budget as they can see what they're spending and what they have left. It's more impactful when you're holding a few notes vs numbers on a screen.
This

It so much easier to keep to a budget when using cash

I used to go a speed bank an take out £200 cash every Friday or Saturday and try make that last a week paying for stuff like fuel, food, drink, going out, etc

These days i try to take out less money (£150) as my wages are now lower then before.
But normally have to get more money out due to how much extra fuel i go through in the summer months on my motorbike :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Bank run?

Don't you remember northen Rock a few years ago?

If everyone tries to take thier money out at once there isn't enough in the bank, any bank.

So your money there may as well not exist if your lucky you can queue up for hours and maybe be one of the lucky ones to get it out

Also visa etc go down semi regularly these days

Yep fair point. I thought everyone got their money back in the end though?

I'd still rather take my chances in that scenario than having my savings in cash somewhere!

I think living in a big city probably skews my views on cash as everything Mrs Seabiscuit mentioned in her post, I've been able to pay by card.

Soldato
Iirc you (we) do not actually own the cash, Bank of England does.

I think its officially called a promissory note? But not sure.

I think if the value of cash dropped then the banking system would collapse. The problem with digital currency is there won't be the same regulations on it, so I predict will be harder to control.

I'd like to see a debt report on if there is a difference in the amount of people going in to debt these days than there were when we mostly used cash. I ask the question because it seems very easy to have a bet online than it would be to hand over cash at the bookies. I don't think a lot of people feel the same value of numbers on a screen than they would physically holding something.

Soldato
I'll personally be glad when cash is dead, christ knows where its been for a start, absolutely hate it. I work retail and the slowest customers whether young or old are cash users. I could have served a handful of people with contactless by the time some customers work out the bloody money especially when paying in change. Worst offenders are the ones that give you a bagful of small change so that I quickly have to add the amount up while a queue forms.

It's ultra rare that I have any cash or coins and I've gone cashless since Apple Pay in the UK launched, thankfully contactless took over extremely quickly in most places and even in my store more than half pay contactless or with a card and pin these days. Without my wallet I'll never loose cash, coins or cards and if I ever get mugged (thankfully I never have so far) at least my bank and all of my money is secure.

There's a woman who shops at my work and she has a wallet and EIGHT purses. Each purse has 1 type of coin in it (1p to £2). Her shopping is never comes to £20.50. Its more like £26.73. She goes through every purse, sometimes she has nothing in some of them and gives exact or near to. Then if she requires change, she puts each coin into their purses. I have come wise to her and if she requires 60p change, I give her 3 20ps so one purse is required.

Why do many cash payers never have their money ready? Scan the shopping, say the amount to them - then shock horror, they need to pay. There are some females that don't have a purse, all of their cash goes to the bottom of their massive handbag and grab a handful of coins and count from there. Why can't they get a bloody purse? Get one from a charity shop for a couple of quid. Most purses in charity shops are unused.

Caporegime
Lived in Sweden 8 years. I barely know what Swedish money looks like it's used so rarely.
in Switzerland people mostly use cash and It's rude to tip, unless it's rounding up the change

I think they have a lot of outdated views though, even a lot of the bars don't ask you to pay when you order, just settle up when your ready to leave.

like "oh I have a tab? WTF is this madness, you don't even know me bro"

BTW if you drop coins on the floor, it's trinkgeld for the cleaners, don't dare try to pick it up :cry:

You can easily spot the poor swiss people though, they will have "post finance cards" and not real bank accounts.

it's almost like rich people have cash, poor people have post finance and usually pay by card rather than go the cash point (post finance is just their version of a post office account, Its not a visa card so you can't use them online afaik)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Elderly poor and people who get paid in cash.
I hate cash. Its such a pain. So easy to Lose.

If you get paid directly into your a/c you'll probably rarely use cash.

Soldato
I went to Rick Stein's in Sandbanks and saw a guy arrive in his Rolls Royce. He seemed like a regular, staff made a proper fuss of him but when it came to the bill I understand why.
He produced a comically sized wad of cash from his jacket and just plonked it on the table and left, didn't even count it.

Soldato
I went to Rick Stein's in Sandbanks and saw a guy arrive in his Rolls Royce. He seemed like a regular, staff made a proper fuss of him but when it came to the bill I understand why.
He produced a comically sized wad of cash from his jacket and just plonked it on the table and left, didn't even count it.
Rolls-Royce has a hyphen

Back
Top Bottom