1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast iron casserole dish

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Moses, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Moses

Caporegime

2. ttaskmaster

Soldato

We have one, at the wife's insistence, along with several other Le Creusset things. About that size, too. Works great, sees a lot of use, I only need something bigger when I'm doing stews for more than five, really.
    Can be had far cheaper second-hand (and sometimes at insane discounts in John Lewis post-Xmas sales) and will last a damn long time, especially if you take good care of it..... Good call on the black. I always hated the orange.

3. lookitsjonno

Mobster

Had that exact pan for over 10 years, expensive but is used 5+ times a week and is still as good as the day we bought it. Practically indestructible.

4. kiteloopy

Wise Guy

I have the Staub 28cm Chistera Braiser. Great thing that and slightly cheaper than the Le Creuset one. Only downside is that the handle can get very hot. I would have liked a larger one but I only have a small kitchen and dont have the room for it.

They are great things Moses.

5. ttaskmaster

Soldato

Just about, yeah... The most common breaks are snapping off the side handles when dropping!

6. lookitsjonno

Mobster

Did a 4hr brisket in mine on Sunday, was amazing, meat fell apart :D

7. robj20

Soldato

I've fallen out with cast iron recently and prefer Pyrex or stainless steel.

8. Philtor

Soldato

£265 for that? :eek: Does it make the dinner as well at that price as it ought to lol

9. Moses

Caporegime

Cheers everyone for validating my choice... :cool:.

They’ve just shot up tbf. Were far closer to £200 when I posted (still a fair bit of cash).

10. Acme

Caporegime

Several pre-loved ones on eBay finishing in the next 3 - 4 hours. Recon you could save yourself something in the region of £200.

11. ttaskmaster

Soldato

^ This.
    Anything over £100 would be pretty insane.

12. Tyrone1Wils

Gangster

13. jpaul

Soldato

are you already making bread ?, I have seen little evidence of their merits over a hot oven (with a dash of steam), or bread machine .. otherwise, Lodge, as he says, is good.

For slow cooking the electric ones are economic/large too,
    and, for initial browning anyway, imhop need gas, which I don't currently have, to put the btu's into/justify a lecreuset,
    ... although I have not seen dumplings in an electric one.

14. ttaskmaster

Soldato

How well do these things last, though?
    I've heard mention of several alternative brands for cast iron cookware in the past, but I tend not to see them sold any more... I assume there's a reason Le Creusset are still in business?

If you just want to save money, potjie pots are far cheaper and you can even cast spells with them!! :D