Caster Semenya could be forced to undertake hormone therapy for future Olympics

Yes, you can. Forensic investigators can easily tell if a suspect is male or female (yes there are only 2 genders in the real world) from DNA evidence. A DNA test will of course always show someone's true/birth gender no matter how many hormones they take or social media followers they have.

Fake news.

Chromosomes are a social construct and shaped by social pressures.

You guys helicopters, so original.

200.gif

People have to accept that genetic malfunctions close the door to the fair and realistic performance of some sexually segregated sports. I am not sure what physical abnormalities this person exhibits, but for sure, not too long ago, a ward sister / midwife would have taken the more pronouncedly sexually deformed hurriedly away to the sluice room. Which is why such conversations were just not partaken of in those days, and life was much simpler... I admit to a certain interest in the question of the desirability of eugenics ;)

Are we really talking trans in a thread about an intersex person?
I was wondering this also.

If she is biologically identical to a ‘normal’ male (just without a penis and external testes), then I guess it is not really different to a M-F Trans person.

However, if the complications that led to her intersex status have life-long effects on her growth and development E.g. more oestrogen than a ‘normal’ male (even though she also has more testosterone than a ‘normal’ female) then it does get a bit more complicated.

Obviously there is much more to male/female development than just oestrogen and testosterone, so how does being intersex affect everything else?

Are we really talking trans in a thread about an intersex person?

There is a bit of overlap and similar dilemmas tbh...

I mean she has been raised as a female but has perhaps known for around a decade now at least that she's actually biologically male albeit her penis didn't develop.

There are other intersex people who might have a bit of both etc...

I guess it depends on the definitions here - if you take a sort of blind position in that anyone "assigned female" at birth (regardless of whether they really are) who stays female is a "cis" female then yes you could say her gender is simply female and she's not trans. She's been raised as female all her life so I guess has never transitioned etc.. she's still intersex though. Arguably you could also say that plenty of people who are intersex and identify as a binary gender are "trans" (particularly where there is significant ambiguity or biological aspects of the opposite gender they identify as) as in modern terms their "gender" if matching their sex is perhaps "non binary".

There is quite a high proportion of homosexuality among intersex people IIRC. Caster is in fact married to a woman, and indeed seems to take the "male" role in that relationship. I guess this shouldn't be too surprising, most biological males are attracted to females:

EtjBOs4.jpg

I think overall her position is an incredibly selfish one, she knows and has known for years that she's essentially a man without a penis but has been happy to carry on competing as a female and actively fought to keep the male advantage she has while robbing women of their place on the podium.

Apologies i havent read all 14 pages of this thread but does this person have a vagina or not? Does this person have functioning breasts? Is this person capable of giving birth?

Almost certainly not capable of giving birth, allegedly no womb or ovaries either... unlikely to have functioning breasts. She is seemingly mostly a male whose sexual organ didn't properly develop ergo she has no penis and her balls didn't drop but are internal.

She won the 800M in Doha by a length today.

Yup, also Sharp who perhaps would have got herself a bronze medal in Rio if it weren't for the dropping of testosterone levels was in the same race:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48153742

Sharp, 28, told BBC Sport she had received death threats as a result of previous comments she had made about Semenya's "advantage".

"I've known Caster since 2008, it's something I've been familiar with over the past 11 years," she said

"No-one benefits from this situation - of course she doesn't benefit, but it's not me versus her, it's not us versus them.

"I've had death threats. I've had threats against my family and that's not a position I want to be in, it's really unfortunate the way it's played out.

"By no means am I over the moon about this, it's just been a long 11 years for everyone."

Almost certainly not capable of giving birth, allegedly no womb or ovaries either... unlikely to have functioning breasts. She is seemingly mostly a male whose sexual organ didn't properly develop ergo she has no penis and her balls didn't drop but are internal.

Likewise, i haven't read the entire thread but is there anything medically that makes them female if they don't have female reproductive organs?

Likewise, i haven't read the entire thread but is there anything medically that makes them female if they don't have female reproductive organs?

Doesn't seem to be much AFAIK other than the fact key male attributes didn't develop properly and she's been raised as a female as a result of her condition.

Complete androgen insensitivity in xy chromosome people would see them essentially develop as a woman, including secondary sexual characteristics like breasts and hips. See athlete Maria José Martínez-Patiño as an example. These women wouldn't be fertile, nor I suppose have internal female organs, but don't gain any advantage from the extra testosterone they carry.

Semenya seems to have partial androgen insensitivity, so has developed, to some extent, some secondary female characteristics like breasts and hips, but has also developed some secondary male characteristics, like a deep voice and muscle mass. She gets some benefit from testosterone, but not as much as a man would.

She's neither male nor female in a biological sense.

Back
Top Bottom