Cat C Bike

Caporegime
Be careful welding the fork leg up. The heat will distort it and might possibly damage internal suspension components. I think it might be cheaper to buy a second hand fork or see how much one is from Kwak. Make their dealer your best friend.

given its a little tab fairly far from the fork tube i imagine you could wrap the actual leg in wet towels to try and soak up the excess heat

Caporegime
OP
yeah it starts runs great

fi light keeps flashing idk why yet,might go out with a long run

EDIT: I have a new/secondhand top and right side fairing waiting to go back on after I get the forks checked out

Last edited:
Soldato
Structural = frame/forks/swingarm/engine.

Wheels, fairing, bars etc can all be bolted on so it's not those. It's where the item as are bolted to.

Technically this can include swingarms and forks/yokes in my eyes as they are an easy fix but I think in insurance terms damage to these items can result in a bent frame so makes it structural.

I *think*!
Fairings/mirrors/indicators would be a Cat D - cosmetic.

Incorrect. Cat C/D is only related to the cost to repair vs value of the bike, just as it is in cars.

Soldato
Incorrect. Cat C/D is only related to the cost to repair vs value of the bike, just as it is in cars.

Sorry, my understanding was as this and I think the structure of a motorbike is more important than on a car as if it does go wrong there is less leeway (and the possible structural related to scraped frame/forks etc which might not be bent but could be but either way economically they would need replacing):-

◦Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of bike.
◦Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.

Soldato
◦Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of bike.
◦Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.

This is repeated so often (and on some reputable looking web sites as well) that people believe it and propagate it, but it's such an over-simplification that it's effectively useless. The Cat C/D decision is purely financial and based on the total cost of repair vs the value of the car/bike.

Cat C - The total repair costs exceeded the value of the vehicle. A £90 car with a cracked headlamp costing £100 would be Cat C.

Cat D - The repair costs exceeded the value of the vehicle less the salvage value. e.g a £500 car with a £350 repair, but the Insurer would get £200 salvage, so it would cost them £300 to total loss rather than £350 to repair.

With fairings, tanks, radiators, engine covers costing insane amounts of money, a bike would not need to be structurally damaged to gain a Cat C. OTOH a frame or swingarm would only need a minor dent or scrape to warrant replacement, and the cost of that would almost guarantee a Cat C write off, even though the damage is not actually structural.

Caporegime
OP
You have to re apply for the log book I found out aswell,dvla withhold it when it's written off,its free for a cat c,but cat d you have to pay a £25 fee

I'm waiting for the new logbook to come

Edit: the cost for parts at the dealers is ridiculous, wanted £44 just for a rear brake lever,I got one all the way from China for £11,I was too scared to ask for a new fork leg,the shock would have been too much

That's what's getting bikes written off so much,silly manufacturers parts prices

Last edited:
Soldato
This is repeated so often (and on some reputable looking web sites as well) that people believe it and propagate it, but it's such an over-simplification that it's effectively useless. The Cat C/D decision is purely financial and based on the total cost of repair vs the value of the car/bike.

Cat C - The total repair costs exceeded the value of the vehicle. A £90 car with a cracked headlamp costing £100 would be Cat C.

Cat D - The repair costs exceeded the value of the vehicle less the salvage value. e.g a £500 car with a £350 repair, but the Insurer would get £200 salvage, so it would cost them £300 to total loss rather than £350 to repair.

With fairings, tanks, radiators, engine covers costing insane amounts of money, a bike would not need to be structurally damaged to gain a Cat C. OTOH a frame or swingarm would only need a minor dent or scrape to warrant replacement, and the cost of that would almost guarantee a Cat C write off, even though the damage is not actually structural.

I stand corrected so cat C/D is just a write-off and it's all down to money. :)
Thank you. :)

Associate
That is one silly swing arm!

I love how the front end looks though, it will be fantastic once it's all sorted mate :)

What's wrong with the swing arm?

I think it looks really nice especially compared to the Honda CBR swingarms with their HUGE welds and square tubing.

-----

Wazza, you thought about what exhaust you'll be fitting?

I'd recommend the full race akra ;)

Associate
I also read that any bike that's over 10 years old will be written off,idk how true that is but makes sense I suppose

as for exhaust im not sure,been looking at the m4 gp slip on

and been looking at these rather cheap stubby slip ons

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-2010...haust-BLACK-/180995487183?hash=item2a242bf5cf

this is what they sound like

Aaah I do not like that little ebay thing. Looks nasty but each to their own.

I do like the look for the M4's and the sound of them.

Full Akra is an expensive option, but sounds SOoooooo good :D

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I like the m4 aswell,plus it let's you de cat the exhaust

I'd love a full akro but just to expensive for me

I want a tail tidy and a hid lighting kit aswell

EDIT: I wanted to ask you benji,when you turn off your ignition do you hear any twitch of the exhaust servo under the seat? I don't on this bike but my zx10r would,it would return to original position

just wondering if that's the cause of the flashing fi light

Last edited:
Associate
Be careful welding the fork leg up. The heat will distort it and might possibly damage internal suspension components. I think it might be cheaper to buy a second hand fork or see how much one is from Kwak. Make their dealer your best friend.

it only holds the front guard up so id just tig weld it and just pulse the tig on and off keep the temp low low should be ok, nice bike though

Back
Top Bottom