Cat6 install in a Semi detached 3 bedroom home

Associate
We are moving home soon and we know we will need to have an electrician come and install a lot of new electrical sockets in all of the rooms. There is only one double gang socket in each of the bedrooms for example.

As an infrastructure minded type of guy - I’m keen to run cat6 into all the rooms. Maybe two ports per room. Living room I’m not sure how many ports / drops I want in there. Would like two or three runs into the loft too as I will likely add PoE cameras to the side of the house in the future. I may even put the network switch in the loft… either that or in the built in storage in the box room and have the cabling run to there.

I also have a Reolink PoE doorbell (great purchase!) which I’d like to mount on the outer leaf brickwork by the front door and fish the cat6 cable down the wall cavity from the loft. If there is no insulation in the cavity at present - is this a viable possibility with the right fish kit?

I’d like to hear about best practices for how to go about this and what I need to be thinking about.

Wall chases only. No surface mounted stuff. Keep everything as future proof as possible.

Understandably I can’t expect to run cat6 immediately alongside 240v cabling for new electrical outlets - but I could put a cat6 drop in the same corner of the room right?

Bottom line is we are going to need a spark to fit new power outlets for us so I’m thinking of getting the cat6 work carried out as part of the same job.

What do you guys think?

So, on the question of fitting the Reolink PoE doorbell on the outer leaf brick work and drop a cat6 cable down the wall cavity (not insulated) to connect it.
Is that feasible?

What do I need to help me?

Keen to get this job done before the winter so we can have the wall cavity insulated

Appreciate all the pointers I can get to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom