CCTV, what's good (without paying a fortune;))

Commissario
Hi

Having had an attempted break in at my house a few weeks back, multiple cars broken into on the street since then, several other attempted break ins on the street and last night a neighbour was broken into, I feel the time to reconsider CCTV may have come (until about 4 months ago this was a lovely quiet street).

So, I'm looking at CCTV cameras to cover the front of the house (footpath running past it and road), the side of the house and possible the back/garage (not so worried about the back as to get to that someone would have to come round the side, or wade through a stream, up a steep bank and over a fence).

The house is a detached one, with a road/path running in front of it (there is about 6-10 foot of front garden with hedge and path), a shared drive to one side leading to the garage and back garden.
The path out front is reasonably well lit by street lighting, the back garden has a couple of PIR's (one covering the back gate and set to only come on if someone is within about 3 foot of the gate, it rarely goes off unless somoene is at the gate).
Only one side of the house has no real existing lighting, but it also has no windows/doors (the other side has an 8 foot high wall, with about a 12 foot drop onto various nasty bits including bits of scaffolding* if someone tried climbing over it into our garden).
I'll try and post a rough diagram of it later.

My initial thought is possibly a 3 or 4 camera standalone setup with two cameras covering the front (pointing both directions), and one covering the side or the back.
My thought is that possibly for the side if the cameras is low light/IR sensitive, rather than go with cameras that have IP lamps on the camera, fit a discrete IR source triggered by a PIR so it's not obvious that it's on, but illuminates better than a camera mounted light.

But I have no idea which system out of the dozens/hundreds out there to possible go with.

*we use it to store some bulky DIY gear that isn't used much and not overly affected by the elements (it's below the level of the back patio).

Associate
When I installed mine, I went for the HIKVision cameras. They seemed to be the best value for money, being about £150 each for an IP rated, multi mega pixel with built in IR camera. These are connected using a cheap POE switch and record onto a Synology NAS.

HIK do make their own free software, but I struggled with it. The Synology software was much easier, the only downside being you only get a certain number of camera licenses depending which NAS you buy. The Synology software allows you to use all of the camera features I've tried and mine are currently set up with motion detection and with email messages should you get a problem with the camera feed.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/surveillance/7.1

Associate
I wouldn't worry about them being discrete, I would much rather them act as a deterrent and put intruders off altogether. Don't waste your money on a camera for the side of your house, you'll want them in key areas such as covering a patio door around the back, looking over your cars and maybe a small one by your front door.

Hikvision are my favourite, excellent value for money and the software is good after some teething issues to get it working.

These are really good for most situations (very good day & night image)
2 X Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I
2 X Hikvision DS-1273ZJ-130-TRL

One of these are good if you have a porch (not an amazing image but has two way audio and PIR)
1 X Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-I

NVR (Storage and POE)
Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P
1 X WD 2 TB Surveillance Drive

It's hard to recommend what lens without seeing pictures of the back and front of your property, 2.8mm lens for the widest field of view but maybe a 4mm/6mm if you have a long drive way at the front.

Permabanned
Firstly

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18568132&highlight=cctv

Secondly

Have a look at Vimes's setup in the thread.

Thirdly

You get what you pay for and depending on how you quantify "fortune" a proper HD poe setup doesn't really cost a lot. A cheap 700-900 tvl camera doesn't really help identify intruders they as they are so fuzzy at night. A proper ir HD camera with adequate flood lighting is excellent.

Also srobrien is right. Hikvision make quality stuff and doesn't cost and arm and a leg if you go the aliexpress route.

Commissario
OP
Apologies for not replying to the thread sooner, it's been a busy/stressful week.

I was hoping to keep the spend down to around £300 or so, but having talked to the chanceller/keeper of the purse I can probably push that up to £400-500 if needed (so may end up buying a couple of camaras and a recorder to begin with and add more later).

I'm going to try and get out with the survey tape and a clip board to get a reasonable diagram of the house/gardens/path/garage this weekend, and in the meantime I'm going to read through the cctv thread.
I agree completely there is no point in having CCTV video that isn't actually useful, but can't afford to spend too much on it at the moment as I'm not sure how my finances will be in a couple of months so a system that can be upgraded is good (possibly start of with two good cameras for the main approaches).

IP cameras (especially for one of the locations) would make sense as I have the house fairly well wired for networking and it would make fitting a camera on/inside the garage a doddle as placing one on the front of the garage would cover the carport, and the approach to the back gate, as a bonus the garage already has a homeplug and wireless router (in access point mode) that gives a good network link to the house (via armoured cable) whilst providing both wired and wireless connectivity in the garage.

I've actually got some ideas for the garage security that involve a rasberry pi, the old PIR sensors for the current alarm and messages to my PC/tablet, when I finally get the time/energy to sit down with the pi properly (I also want to try and set it up to let me turn on the lights and heater so when I go there at night it can turn on lights, or start heating the garage before I get out to it).

Soldato
I would be interested in what you find.

Unfortunately I have posted several times in the thread that Twirlywoos links to and have had little help :(.

Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom