Ceiling light Living room help now hallway bedrooms lights don’t work

Associate
Evening. new here so excuse me lol
Anyway I just put 2 ceiling chandeliers up in the front room now the hall ways and bedrooms don’t work. The wiring is old has 3 reds in a block 2 yellow in another separate block and 2 blue separate block with a single black this is the block the light fitting goes to any help would be greatly appreciated

Man of Honour
To avoid death, pay someone to do it for you. It’s what I would do!

I also enjoy that there is a tag for electric and also electrics :p

Associate
OP
Yes I have a 2way dimmer which controls the 2 front room lights But now it seems only the right dimmer controls both lights and no lights anywhere else other then the new ones

Commissario
you need to look up ring lighting circuits (one of the reasons I still have a couple of hefty DIY books is they come in handy for lighting circuits), but really if you're not sure then it's best to get someone in to do it, or ask a friend who is familiar with it.

Lighting is a pain in the neck as the traditional method of setting up the circuit in the UK requires 4 connector blocks in the fitting/on the ceiling and often the wiring is not easily recognisable (as depending on the install the return back to the fitting from the light switch will be the wrong colour with if you're lucky a coloured sleeve to indicated it's different).

Really don't touch it if you are unsure.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah I’m no sparky but I can change a light or switch etc... I don’t get it though I literally disconnected the old lights from the blocks and put a new light up exactly the same and this happened.... I haven’t changed any of the wires, but when I did take the old light down a single black was loose so I assumed that went with a blue

Commissario
I just saw the comment about two way fittings.
Those are an utter nightmare, I've done them a couple of times but only after taking photos and labelling every conductor individually (going back many years I did actually put one in our garage, but got a neighbour who is a sparky to look at it before finished).

Associate
OP
6F37g9x

Soldato
Always take pictures of the wiring before you disconnect anything, then it cant really go wrong. Often you will find the wrong colour cables, no sheathing to indicate the switched lives and so on so having a picture to look back on is ideal.

Back
Top Bottom