Ceiling Light Wiring help

Soldato
My light fell off the ceiling last night so I need to connect it back up again. Am I right in thinking that the blue wire coming from the connector block should go to the blue on the light and the blue wire with the brown cover should go to the brown? I can't see any other wires that might've come out when it fell down.

Ceiling wires
https://imgur.com/yJext4k

Light
https://imgur.com/NadCsG8

Also, the Ikea connector looks a bit flimsy so am I ok to cut it shorter and replace with a proper connector block?

RJC

RJC

Don
How did the light fall down! :eek:

Looking at the cabling the blue wire with the Brown sleeve will be your switched live and will need to connect to the brown on the light fitting and the blue will be the neutral - so pretty much what you said :D

If you want a stronger connector look at Wagos, but you probably need to cut the original connector off.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cable-accessories/cat7230015?cm_mmc=Google-_-Wago-_-Wago - Brand-_-wago__kenshoo_clickid_&ds_kid=43700019287676038&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249478&gclid=CjwKCAjwxrzoBRBBEiwAbtX1nw3ejKYQMnr5Go6aq0Kegea0cYLH5NVOAdQeln8yT-f9GjQfsm8PEhoC66EQAvD_BwE

Soldato
OP
How did the light fall down! :eek:

When I had the house rewired the electrician just used a screw in hook into the plasterboard (but obviously it was hidden by the dome cover thing so I wasn't aware). It had zero grip and just pulled through the plasterboard due to the weight of the lampshade.

Which Wagos would I need?

Soldato
Can we have a picture of the light fitting?

It looks like given the braided sleeving over the L&N that it may be designed as class 2/double insulated, thats fine, but a load of connector blocks and unsheathed cores in the base of it means it is effectly no longer class 2.
If you were to make the connections with wagos in a wago box, enlarge the hole in the ceiling so that the wago box can sit above it, and come into the light with a bit of 3-core flex (have to have an earth available incase its needed in future) then that would be alright, but please don't push bare wagos or connector block into the ceiling!

Soldato
OP

It looks like given the braided sleeving over the L&N that it may be designed as class 2/double insulated, thats fine, but a load of connector blocks and unsheathed cores in the base of it means it is effectly no longer class 2.

It's just an Ikea pendant light, nothing special.

If you were to make the connections with wagos in a wago box, enlarge the hole in the ceiling so that the wago box can sit above it, and come into the light with a bit of 3-core flex (have to have an earth available incase its needed in future) then that would be alright, but please don't push bare wagos or connector block into the ceiling!

That's concerning as it just had connector blocks on it which were pushed into the ceiling. I assume that they're all like that as they were all done by the same company. Am I going to need to go around the entire house and replace them all with Wagos in a box?

Soldato
It's just an Ikea pendant light, nothing special.

That's concerning as it just had connector blocks on it which were pushed into the ceiling. I assume that they're all like that as they were all done by the same company. Am I going to need to go around the entire house and replace them all with Wagos in a box?

No,

To re hang your light tho put a bit of wood batton up into the cerling void and across the hole and hang the light from that. Will
Spread the weight out and give a firm fixing

Back
Top Bottom