Associate
Just wondering what folk made of this?

29atvg4.png

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
Rosbif said:
It has everything to do with sectarianism and nothing else.

Not convinced it's about religion. I do tend to think Rangers' pro-British stuff is more about a reaction to Celtic's Irish identity than anything else though. They do themselves no favours with this stuff, but a small section of the support are so blinkered that they cannot see it. Too busy being anti-Celtic to see what this kinda stuff makes them look like.

Soldato
Dont agree with it myself. Yes they may be a british club and be proud of it but i do think its got a lot to do with celtic being irish founded and reminds me of the whole NI situation.

(celtic fan here btw)

Tru

Tru

Soldato
This has nothing to do with Celtic! How can it be a reaction to who we are or what we have done?

This is the club pandering to a section of their support, giving them what they want, but doing it in a way that can't directly be criticised as bigoted or sectarian.

If Celtic FC didn't exist this would still be happening.

Associate
I didnt say it was ONLY because Celtic have Republic flags. At the end of the day its all about each club shoving two fingers up at each other. Its got nothing to do with celebrating the Union or Irish influence on Celtic at all.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Sectarianism hinges on fanatically supporting a certain religious group or ideology. I'm saying even if there was no opposing team/religious following, there would still be Union flags waved in Govan. Hence what Celtic do, or are, is irrelevant to this event.

Soldato
Dunno about anywhere else but anybody who i see with a union flag round here isnt waving because they are proud to be a british club. Its usualyl something to do with NI.

Again,most of the union flags i see around here have the red hand of ulster in the middle of it! :confused:

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
Tru said:
This has nothing to do with Celtic! How can it be a reaction to who we are or what we have done?

This is the club pandering to a section of their support, giving them what they want, but doing it in a way that can't directly be criticised as bigoted or sectarian.

If Celtic FC didn't exist this would still be happening.

I think were at cross-purposes a bit. What I'm saying is that Celtic have a legitimate Irish identity. Rangers' pro-British stuff is pretty much a reaction to that, and this decision to 'celebrate' the Union is more about a reaction to others' identity than their own.

Rangers are a Scottish club, founded for a great reason - the love of football. They would make many more friends if they celebrated their true roots. It just seems to me that the majority of decent Rangers fans are being carried along on a wave created by a minority represented by the RST and FF.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Nor said:
I think were at cross-purposes a bit. What I'm saying is that Celtic have a legitimate Irish identity. Rangers' pro-British stuff is pretty much a reaction to that, and this decision to 'celebrate' the Union is more about a reaction to others' identity than their own.

Rangers are a Scottish club, founded for a great reason - the love of football. They would make many more friends if they celebrated their true roots. It just seems to me that the majority of decent Rangers fans are being carried along on a wave created by a minority represented by the RST and FF.

Yes, I see what you mean Nor, and after reading a bit about it I can see you're right. The vast majority of Rangers fans wouldn't have any feelings or opinions on this matter if they thought it didn't get up everyone's (not just Celtic fans) noses.

I'm reminded of the time they introduced an orange away strip to 'celebrate all the Dutch people' in the team.

Soldato
Nor said:

I have to disagree,

Rangers and Celtic are Scottish clubs with Irish heritige. Prodestant / Catholic.

If Rangers were purely Scottish and proud of being British then why are they the only club in Scotland to support the Union?

Nor

Nor

Associate
OP
weescott said:
I have to disagree,

Rangers and Celtic are Scottish clubs with Irish heritige. Prodestant / Catholic.

If Rangers were purely Scottish and proud of being British then why are they the only club in Scotland to support the Union?

Weescott, I don't agree.

Celtic was founded by an Irishman, to help the poor Irish immigrants who had emigrated into Glasgow. Rangers were founded for the love of football - a great reason for a football club to be founded.

Celtic have an Irish heritage. Rangers have a Scottish heritage. Unfortunately, Irish immigration into Scotland in the early 20th century caused some resentment amongst the indigenous population (just as immigration is doing now). It was a sign of the times, but Rangers FC decided to capitalise on the anti-Irish/anti-Catholic sentiment in Scotland and in doing so massively increased the popularity of the club.

Celtic did have a mainly Catholic background - what with many of the Irish immigrants choosing to follow the club, but the club was always open to anyone. Rangers, unfortunately, had a no-Catholic policy over the years. Thankfully it's all gone now though.

Soldato
OK, my understanding is lacking for sure (no pun intended :p) . I know Celtic started off as a charity as a result of the potatoe famine In Ireland, but Ireland is split between Prodestand (Rangers / pro union) and Celtic (Catholic, pro Repubic of Ireland). I know there was a back lash to the imigration but it's more than that!

Soldato
weescott said:
OK, my understanding is lacking for sure (no pun intended :p) . I know Celtic started off as a charity as a result of the potatoe famine In Ireland, but Ireland is split between Prodestand (Rangers / pro union) and Celtic (Catholic, pro Repubic of Ireland). I know there was a back lash to the imigration but it's more than that!

Im sure it wasnt like that when the two clubs were formed. The whole NI situation just brings out the biggots at both clubs. On one hand you have the celtic fans who have tri colours at matches and say its because of the irish roots.........then you have the rangers fans who have union flags saying its because they have british roots BUT i believe its got a lot more to do with NI than scottish people being proud to be in the union.

Its ALWAYS about your religion with scottish football,IMO.

Back
Top Bottom