Chain Doc Muc-off... Any good?

Commissario
I don't do much in the way of mechanical stuff and so haven't done any maintenance on my Marasa since getting it nearly a year ago. I only ride in the dry and sun so the bike still seems nice and clean.

I thought perhaps I ought to clean and lube the chain and spotted this.

Is this a wonder product, aimed at the clueless (me), or is it actually any good?

If I get one, run my chain over it and then hose it all down, what should I put on after to lube?

Ta.

Commissario
OP
Right, so if I buy the Park Tool one, can someone advise exactly what I should get to fill it up with and then what chain lube to buy please. Like I said, this is all new to me so I really have no idea what products I should be using.

Soldato
Chain lube is a tricky subject. If you don't care about having a black chain that you have to avoid the whole time, Finish Line Wet Lube is fine (or any of the cheaper alternatives, Wilko do a teflon one that's supposedly just as good for £2.50/100ml). If you do... it's a lot more complicated really. Dry lubes tend to be a bit cleaner, but there's probably not much in it. I've taken to dipping the chain in paraffin wax, but that's probably a bit involved for most. There are wax based lubes that you apply normally, like Squirt Lube (I know... I didn't name it) which are supposedly quite good. Might not hold up quite as well in the wet but as long as you're applying regularly it shouldn't be an issue.

Soldato
I know that chain cleaners are generally seen as a good thing but personally my chains seem to fair much better since I stopped using one. Instead I just dry wipe down the chain and re lube without de-greasing or using a chain cleaner. If it is very wet or gritty then I'll add a touch of GT85 to the cloth.

As for lube, if you never ride in wet conditions I would strongly advise going for a dry lube. I use Muc-Off dry ceramic and the whole drive train is so much cleaner as it doesn't attract dust.

Back
Top Bottom