chairs at work are total ****, options?

Soldato
Hi guys,

in short the chairs at work are cheap and **** and my back is killing me. The office manager is happy with the chairs so refuses to replace them. I work in IT so am sat for 8 hours a day and have taken to kneeling on the floor because it's more comfortable. I'm not overweight, I'm 6'2" so probably very slightly above whatever monkey who originally designed the chair had in mind ergonomically. I've stressed to said manager about the need for new chairs... options?

B@

Associate
Saw your legs off so you don't have to go to work.

I was under the impression that employers we obliged to provide equipment which is suited to each individual employee if you work with computers. Some places have mandatory visits from people who adjust monitor heights and give tips on how to sit and type safely.

Soldato
Im pretty sure that your office manager has an obligation to make sure you are comfortable and your workstation is ergonomic. Otherwise there are potential health issues. would have thought that like most companies, the threat of legal action would be enough to make sure they provide the neccessary equipment.

Soldato
Your manager has an obligation for your health while at work. Moan some more reminding him of this and if that doesn't work go over his head. Is there someone in charge of occupational health? Might be worth speaking to HR too.

Soldato
Health & Saftey requires the work place to supply you with an area you are happy to work in.

I have just had to fill in a form and even states if I am happy with the glare coming off the desk!

It is in your right to ask for a chair to make you comfortable, far cheaper than a claim for a damaged back!

Soldato
Saw your legs off so you don't have to go to work.

I was under the impression that employers we obliged to provide equipment which is suited to each individual employee if you work with computers. Some places have mandatory visits from people who adjust monitor heights and give tips on how to sit and type safely.
A bunch of guys at my work had leaflets about how to sit at a desk, eyes inline with monitor or whatever it is. I wanted to shove the leaflets down their throats =/

They were moaning at IT because the monitor stands didn't go high enough, they were normal Dell monitor stands. Continuously moaned about it, not our fault admin/hr bought low desks (all new furniture)!

Man of Honour
I don't know how big your company is but as has been said you should be able to get a proper workstation assessment because it is a health and safety issue. I'd have thought your manager would be a bit keener on this issue than he sounds to be.

Equally I don't know how flexible your work are about such matters but I've sometimes taken to sitting on a gym ball at home which is both comfortable and means it's much more difficult to slouch.

Associate
As said above a DSE(workstation assessment) is your best bet. Im pretty sure its required by law now if regularly working from a computer as part of health and safety for RSI, etc.

Soldato
I don't know how big your company is but as has been said you should be able to get a proper workstation assessment because it is a health and safety issue. I'd have thought your manager would be a bit keener on this issue than he sounds to be.

British Standards apply to workplace seating (as well as domestic) these two come to mind immediately.
BS EN ISO 9241: 1999/5
BS 5940: 1990
Most of the H&S regs over the last 40(ish) years will have relevance.
A one size fits all attitude is not sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom