Changeaview Website

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48579597

An interesting article about the state of online discussion and debate.

Please note this is not intended to be any slight on the moderation or running of OCUK.

I do find Elon Musk's point one of the most troubling, how do you get people who are unwilling to consider other views to voluntarily reconsider them?

It's interesting to reflect, too, I went to a school with a debating society, and even there you were considered a geek or whatever if you were a member. Nowadays people spend their lives doing the same thing online, but with less rules or comeback.

Soldato
I've told my daughter she should join (or start) a debating group at here school because the quality of debating I hear from her and her peers is shocking. The standard responses seem to be:
  • It doesn't matter (if you don't immediately understand her vague/non-sensically stated point)
  • Stop nagging me. It's not my fault.
  • You just don't understand.
  • That's wrong! (Never any reasoning given as to why though).
I do admit that this is probably part of being a teenager but it's prevalent in every day life too - and definitely on the web. God help these people when they hit the harsh world of work.

To address the OP though, ChangeAView looks really interesting and I think I may spend some time exploring. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's an interesting idea.

I think a good debater should be able to argue the opposite point to what they hold. I've noticed most people online seem unable to even understand the other point of view or even try to meet on the middle ground. Someone can hold a different view to me and even if I don't agree with them I respect that its their view.

I've noticed that people tend to personalise an opinion. Like its theirs, and if you counter that opinion that you are somehow personally insulting them, and usually they fire back with personal insults instead of actually arguing for their opinion.

Though I'm against the new'ish phrase of "its my truth" as there is only one truth. When it comes to opinions there can be 2 valid opinions that can be right based off how the 2 people came to the debate.

I've noticed on forums some people forget there are people reading the debates. So it shouldnt be about one-up'ing the other person. It should be about trying to convince as many people as possible to the point you're making.

Soldato
When at school we debated often. Before the start the two proponents tossed a coin to determine from which side they would debate the topic. It was often heated but the better argued case always won the majority vote at the end.

It is not always the rightness of the cause but how well it is put across.

Man of Honour
I've told my daughter she should join (or start) a debating group at here school because the quality of debating I hear from her and her peers is shocking. The standard responses seem to be:
  • It doesn't matter (if you don't immediately understand her vague/non-sensically stated point)
  • Stop nagging me. It's not my fault.
  • You just don't understand.
  • That's wrong! (Never any reasoning given as to why though).
I do admit that this is probably part of being a teenager but it's prevalent in every day life too - and definitely on the web. God help these people when they hit the harsh world of work.

To address the OP though, ChangeAView looks really interesting and I think I may spend some time exploring. Thanks for the heads-up. :)
You missed point 5

If an internet debate is not going in you favour , bring up Hitler.

Back
Top Bottom