Changed motherboard getting less than half speed

Associate
Hi all,
Will try and make this description a quick one.
I swapped out my gigabyte am4 board with Ryzen 2600 and ram with my son's older gigabyte h81m-s2v mobo with i5 4690k and ram.
My pc is wired to router. Before I was getting between 430-450 mbps.
Now I'm getting 180mbps am the time.
I've checked and installed drivers and checked mobo manual and it has a gigabit network Lan on it.
The only thing I haven't done is a clean install of Windows which in reluctant to do at the moment but was wondering why the speeds differ? I'm using the same cable I used before before any one suggests the cable.
At first I thought it was just older hardware not capable but then I read the manual and it should be capable.
Cheers Steve

Associate
I had a similar problem to this on my current setup as well. Turned out the PC and Router would only connect at 100meg and not Giga. I had to go into the network settings and force the ethernet port into gigabyte connection speed. I also has issues with a longer patch lead that wouldnt then connect at anything faster than 100meg, new cable sorted that issue.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look further into that. I've just upgraded my packages to 500mb one. It's showing 220 on died tests now. When downloading bfv though it's hitting 62mbites per second which is a 620 Mbit connection roughly. So it's working when downloading now but all the tests I've tried only show around 200mbps. It doesn't really matter now if it actually downloads faster than it says it but just odd that by changing the mobo CPU and ram it has restricted then port somehow.

Soldato
Clearly it hasn’t reduced your speed if you are getting 62MB/s on downloads, that’s just almost exactly 500Mbit, what has happened is you’ve discovered the variability if speed tests. Speed tests can under/over report for a variety of reasons, if they are off VM’s network are subject to routing, peering, server load and capacity. Speedtest for example will use the server it believes is closer to you based on ping, that isn’t always the best indicator of the highest throughput. Fast can just be strange, really strange. Either way, nothing to do with your hardware swap from the information you have provided.

Back
Top Bottom