changing a cooker extractor considerations.....

Soldato
the extractor I got is quite useless and ineffective, I wished I had gone for a better one now.

I like things to be noise reduced this one is just too loud

what do I have to take into consideration while looking for a new ones? worried about dimensions

Soldato
OP
Dimensions, the extractor ducting hole is usually the same on the hood, but might be worth checking.

this is my 1 biggest worry
that external hole, it won't look nice from the outside if I have to make a new hole. I'd rather keep the existing one

do you know if these holes are a standard size? i think mine is round with a square cover on the outside.

Caporegime
this is my 1 biggest worry
that external hole, it won't look nice from the outside if I have to make a new hole. I'd rather keep the existing one

do you know if these holes are a standard size? i think mine is round with a square cover on the outside.

The actual ducting is more than like 100mm tube. I was more referring to the extractor hole on the cooker hood, but I think they're usually 125mm?

Soldato
OP
The actual ducting is more than like 100mm tube. I was more referring to the extractor hole on the cooker hood, but I think they're usually 125mm?

thanks apart from bosch, where I am struggling to find a black hood that matches the existing one.
what other brands have a good rating?

Soldato
OP
Okay redigging this thread up from the past
As I am close to changing the hood

How loud is 65db?

Also I have realised that I have been unable to articulate the most crucial question....

Will i need to drill a new extraction hole in the wall or do you think I could use the existing hole that is already there?

Caporegime
Okay redigging this thread up from the past
As I am close to changing the hood

How loud is 65db?

Also I have realised that I have been unable to articulate the most crucial question....

Will i need to drill a new extraction hole in the wall or do you think I could use the existing hole that is already there?

Use the existing more than likely? Not sure why you'd need to move it.

Also, 65db is probably part of a range or max? Ours has three settings and the third is prettttty loud, used when we burn something usually :D

Soldato
OP
Use the existing more than likely? Not sure why you'd need to move it.

Also, 65db is probably part of a range or max? Ours has three settings and the third is prettttty loud, used when we burn something usually :D

Nah i dont want to move the extraction hole in the wall
I just want to use the existing one and wonder if I changed the hood whether I would be able to use that hole already there

Which one u got? Mine is some type of unbranded one with a blue led light
Just sounds too loud even on the low setting

Soldato
OP
Oh perhaps I am worried that new extractor has different dimensions vs the d extractor. Hopefully new extractor will line up allowing me to use the same extraction hole in the wall

Caporegime
Nah i dont want to move the extraction hole in the wall
I just want to use the existing one and wonder if I changed the hood whether I would be able to use that hole already there

Which one u got? Mine is some type of unbranded one with a blue led light
Just sounds too loud even on the low setting

Oh perhaps I am worried that new extractor has different dimensions vs the d extractor. Hopefully new extractor will line up allowing me to use the same extraction hole in the wall

Without knowing where everything sits it's hard to say.

Like I said previously the holes on top of the extractor itself are the only ones I've seen different, unless someone has opted to use a larger extraction tube but who knows.

Mines just a cheap IKEA one, nothing fancy at all

Soldato
So you have the hood dimensions - I like a size up from the hob. Next is extraction rate - this is directly tied to the diameter of the external vent (assume it’s not recirculating) and then finally where the power comes in.

It’s possible that you can use an adaptor on a larger vent for the same vent hole but it means back pressure and reduced extraction rate.

Ours is a 150mm diameter pipe. Works really nicely as the hood has 3 levels and a “impulse” level for a short time that boosts the extraction to an even higher rate for those oops moments.

If the hood has an extendable chimney then you can sock up some difference in hole to hood hight. All extractors should have dimensions (including fixing points and recommended vent location).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom