Changing planes at Athens?

Soldato
Has anyone ever travelled to a Greek island via a flight to Athens? We're looking at going to Paros for a week at the end of this month (last minute planning, as usual) and rather than faff with the ferries we can fly to Athens, have a 1hr change then get a small plane down. Wondering how big the airport is and if that sounds at all risky. First flight is with Aegean and the second with Olympic Air -- they're the same company so I'd hope if there were any delays they'd be a bit more helpful.. :confused:

Caporegime
PITA.

I've done it a few times. Back through security again, rather than staying in security.

I was the last one on my flight the last time I done it. But my flight to Athens was 20 minutes late, with a hour lay over time. So you should have plenty of time.

Soldato
Excellent second post. I particularly like the way you completely disregarded the subject of the thread which was referring to changing planes at Athens. :confused:

do you mean excellent second post in the thread or excellent second post by the user.....I initially almost thought it the latter then realised his location is 2.......dumb post either way.

to OP, family friend has been doing this quite regular since the introduction of the flight to the island and has had little or no issues. fwiw the ferry to the island is a lovely trip but is quite long and from memory quite expensive.

Soldato
OP
I initially thought it was his second post but meh. Whatever.

The other option is to fly direct to Mykonos then catch a shorter ferry. But we'd have to stay a night on Mykonos which in itself is no hardship, but expensive (hotels, plus ferry) and more planning to do as well. Hmn.

Caporegime
how do you mean by risky? Like as in is a small plane safer than a ferry?

I think either should be fine, your plane would probably be a bit quicker overall even with an hour delay etc....

Have you been to Greece before? I went last Sumer, not to the same island mind, but had a two hour ferry journey from Athens and it was fine - easy just to hop on the bus at the airport, it drops you right at the port and then just get on the boat... voyage was absolutely fine, quite cheap IIRC - I'd honestly consider just getting the ferry if cheaper, it isn't much faff

Caporegime
^^ from memory the ferry from Piraeus to Paros is about 6 hrs (not sure if there was a fast craft) so flying will be considerably quicker.

seems to suggest it it 3 hours here:

https://www.directferries.co.uk/piraeus_paros_ferry.htm

the Island I went to was 2 hours, I don't think an extra hour on the boat would be too bad - its a feasible option if the risk comment related to a fear of flying or something

edit: actually if it was about risk of missing the flight then I think he's fine flying, the airport isn't exactly all that big

Soldato
OP
Nah I was just worried about the risk of missing the connection. The other option is flying to Mykonos which is only a 40min ferry. But that flight gets in early evening so we'd stay a night on Mykonos. Bit of a faff. Hmn.

Soldato
seems to suggest it it 3 hours here:

https://www.directferries.co.uk/piraeus_paros_ferry.htm

the Island I went to was 2 hours, I don't think an extra hour on the boat would be too bad - its a feasible option if the risk comment related to a fear of flying or something

edit: actually if it was about risk of missing the flight then I think he's fine flying, the airport isn't exactly all that big
ah ok cool. my memory isn't what it used to be.

yea Athens airport is relatively easily navigated due to it's size.

Soldato
OP
But is a 1hr change actually doable? My girlfriend reckons as it's on Expedia as a through flight, so it should be. I'm thinking it's actually 55mins from touchdown, so plus an extra 20mins taxiing, alighting, getting in etc, then don't they close gates like 20mins before advertised time? So that's about 15mins leeway..

Soldato
It's tight, but may be possible. I've managed a 1 hour 10 minute connection before (not in Athens admittedly, but at Salt Lake City) but I wasn't happy about doing it. If you went that route, I'd look up how often that second flight operates, just in case you do miss it and end up having to be put on a later flight.

In theory it's ok, but if your flight is even 10 minutes late arriving, you're probably screwed. It just doesn't give you any real margin for error.

Associate
Generally speaking if the booking system allows you to book the flight then it will be fine (assuming no unforeseen delays). The booking system will have a 'minimum transfer time' for each airport and if the time between your flights is less than this then it won't allow you to book and thus won't show on expedia etc.

Back
Top Bottom