Channel 4 HD, and All4, Coming Off Freesat Tomorrow.

Soldato
you don't seem to have told us why
Channel 4 is pulling its flagship HD channel and All4 catch-up service from Freesat in a row over carriage fees. Channel 4’s standard definition channels will remain on the satellite platform as per their obligation as a public service broadcaster.

In an email to users, Freesat said: “We’re sorry to announce that All 4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on Thursday 22nd February, 2018. Channel 4 is still available in standard definition, but any recordings you have scheduled for 4HD will need to be re-set in SD (via channel 104). E4, More 4, 4seven and Film4 remain unaffected and can be accessed via the TV guide as usual, but the rollback guide and catch-up TV for all of the Channel 4 channels will no longer be available via your Freesat box.”

A Channel 4 spokesperson told SEENIT: “We’re disappointed Freesat is changing its charging structure, leading to a very significant cost increase for Channel 4, which ultimately takes funding away from our content investment budget. To reduce the overall burden of our Freesat costs and make internal savings we have regrettably given notice to withdraw All 4 and C4 HD while we consider our long term relationship with Freesat.”

Freeview and YouView, the UK’s other subscription-free platforms – both of which Channel 4 has a stake in – will continue to feature the full line-up of Channel 4 HD channels and catch-up services.

Soldato
Well that's rubbish. HD should be the standard by now, instead things are going backwards.

Also this is nonsense:
Freeview and YouView, the UK’s other subscription-free platforms – both of which Channel 4 has a stake in – will continue to feature the full line-up of Channel 4 HD channels and catch-up services.

I've got YouView via BT TV and there's no E4 HD or Film4 HD.

Soldato
maybe C4 wanted a price reduction, low advertising revenue ?, or moreover, to get sky to pay for it like others, to keep their customers happy
It's a pity film4hd is not available on a terrestrial payment option (if the films are genuine and not upscaled)
had not realised sky share (but what packages do they have ?)

39542576955_7d1288c3e9_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Newish Channel on freeview/freesat PBS America, has some good documentaries, inevitably on European terrorism, but using a lot of Europol and dubbed French contributions that you do not see in UK documentaries.

Soldato
Apparently you can still get C4HD by manually tuning to Freq: 11127 Polarisation V. Symbol Rate 220000 FEC 5/6

Not tried it personally but will tonight!

Ohhh will give that a go when I get home!

/edit yep works, for now. No recording in STB mode but it better than nothing.

Last edited:
Associate
I just thought I'd resurrect this thread, with some good news.
Channel 4 HD is officially back :)
Put on your dancing trousers, tilt your hat to a jaunty angle and press 126 on your remote.

Back
Top Bottom