Charging MBP 13 with phone charger?

Soldato
I have tried some searching on the web but there are many conflicting opinions although it's difficult to find anything pretty recent.

The short question is will I do any damage to my MacBook or phone charger if I use it to keep the MacBook topped up?
I'm not too concerned with actually charging the thing as such as I assume it would be fairly slow but was thinking more for when I take it away with me or sat in the office and it's already charged from home would a mains phone charger keep it safely at full battery?

It would save me having to always remember to pack the actual charger as I'll always have my Pixel USB-C charger with me anyway.

Thanks.

Soldato
I believe the new models can be charged from a battery and probably a phone charger as a result. It is going to be very slow! Older models can’t be charged this way.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I plug my 15" 2017 MBP Touchbar into my Pixel 2 charger to keep it topped up. No reason it'd damage either, PD is a two-way thing so the power draw is negotiated.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Get yourself a £35 Anker charger that has 1 x USB-C and 4 x USB-A ports. For a MacBook to be charged, the charger needs to have PD (Power Delivery). I know because my Dell USB-C does nothing for my MacBook (i.e. it won't even see it as a charger and won't charge).

Back
Top Bottom