Charging Wireless Headphones - Am I the weirdo?

Soldato
My awesome Sony wireless headphones have finally bitten the dust. They sounded great and had a charging cradle you just dropped them onto.

These days it appears that a charging cradle is exceptionally rare. The only appealing options I've found are:
  • Astro A50
  • Sennheiser RS175 & RS195
I like the look of the Logitech 733 Lightspeed and Pro X Wireless, but the issue of charging remains.

So how the hell is everyone charging their headphones? I find the idea of having a cable out and plugging it in every time inelegant, especially given we've had charging stands for years.

The only solution I can think of is a stand and magnetic cable adhered to the side, giving it a poke until it connects.

Is that what everyone's doing? What's your solution?

Am I the weirdo?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have a charging station next to me for loads of different devices, I just plug them in with cables.

I see. Perhaps I am indeed the weirdo. Don't you hate the cable clutter?

The only two visible cables on my desk are for my keyboard and mouse pad. I do have a 4 port quickcharger, but I tend to plug in only my phone or a power bank, and the devices sit in a pocket on the end.

I'm back and forth to my desk multiple times a day, and I just want a clean setup. Isn't that the fad these days? I'm shocked there aren't more cradle solutions on the market!

Associate
I think magnetic usb C cable header is a good idea for this.
Not a fan of any custom cradles or charging stations. Bring me nightmares about early cellphone days. Every maker had several non-interchangable charging and data cable setups.

Soldato
OP
I think magnetic usb C cable header is a good idea for this.
Not a fan of any custom cradles or charging stations. Bring me nightmares about early cellphone days. Every maker had several non-interchangable charging and data cable setups.

The nice thing about the RS 175 is it actually uses rechargeable AAA batteries you can replace, same for most of the parts. Charging is simply 3 contacts on the cradle and headband. My Sony's were a bit more proprietary, and I understand your misgivings, but I got about 8 years from them!

And yeah I'm drawing the conclusion it's just not a demand these days, must be getting old. A well positioned magnetic cable seems the only viable option. Thankfully there's loads on the market.

USB-C. 1 cable for everything

Yes I do love usb-c, but what do you do? Just leave your headphones on your desk? Get out a cable every time?

Associate
Arctis pro, so I swap the battery out once a day into the base station (comes with 2 batteries). They attach to the PC and Bluetooth to my phone at the same time. I wouldn't recommend them, they aren't silent when there's no sound, there's a faint high white noise that I find annoying.

I totally agree with the nicety of docking, wireless charging for my phone changed my life :) Now it gets charged during the day rather than overnight.

Man of Honour
We have a charging station and a drawer below it with loads of chargers and cables for different stuff

charging.jpg

Back
Top Bottom