Charlie Brooker - Gamewipe

Soldato
Thought id drop this here for game fans, both new and old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n1j8q/Charlie_Brookers_Gameswipe/

Charlie Brooker sets his caustic sights on video games. Expect acerbic comment as he looks at the various genres, how they have changed since their early conception and how the media represents games and gamers. Features interviews with Dara O'Briain, sitcom scribe Graham Linehan and Rab and Ryan from Consolevania.

Omg it covers wolfenstein 3d!!!!

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Soldato
meh, I don't like to venture into the console forum, I mean they don't know much about computer games.. :)

I was laughing at it all the way through. It is a refreshing change to see someone talk intelligently about computer games instead of the usual rubbish and Brooker knows his subject well.

I Laughed out loud at the "all your base" part and when he was talking about Mario did you notice he said Mario 1 and 3 and not 2 because Mario 2 isn't actually a Mario game for those in the know.

Last edited:
Associate
I just watched it and really enjoyed it. I think this was a one-off essentially serving as a pilot, and if enough people watched it then they'll make it into a proper series, ala Screenwipe/Newswipe.

Be sure to check out Charlie's calls to BMG, Eidos, Virgin Interactive and Activision from back in the 90's when he worked for PCZone.

Soldato
"This is Kurt, a dad of three. *shoots* That's Christmas ****** for your kids"

:D

Watching it right now.

Edit: Bit with Dara O'Briain is hilarious :D

Last edited:
Associate
Well Gamewipe had the highest ratings out of all three of the 'wipes according to the man himself (twitter charltonbrooker) so fingers crossed there'll be more.

Associate
I watched it last night on BBC iplayer and loved it. The bit with the germans and Dara were hilarious.

"guess whats behind the second door? another f*ckin door! it doesnt make any sense why this place has three hallways"

Sincerely hope this gets to become a series.

Back
Top Bottom