Charlie Gard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Such a tragic case :( poor little man.

Just out of interest, and this isn't specific to little Charlie's case, when they basically decide to turn off the life support, is it just a case of switching off the ventilator and any other support? Doesn't that mean he effectively suffocates, which doesn't seem a nice way to go. Or do they basically put him under some kind of anesthetic so there's no suffering? I feel very ignorant asking that but it's only with cases like this that I've ever thought about such horrible situations

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng61

Soldato
I had sympathy for the parents at first but now it is just becoming a circus. How much money has this cost the NHS in lawyers? Why are this couple spending days and days in court when they have so few days left with their child is beyond me.

Caporegime
They suddenly gave up the case to take him overseas, immediately demanded GOSH provide a paediatric intensive care bed at their home for "a few days" and when told no rather than work with GOSH ended up straight back in court.

They've lost the plot. No one has the resources to provide such a service, especially not at the drop of a hat.

Caporegime

Just out of interest, and this isn't specific to little Charlie's case, when they basically decide to turn off the life support, is it just a case of switching off the ventilator and any other support? Doesn't that mean he effectively suffocates, which doesn't seem a nice way to go. Or do they basically put him under some kind of anesthetic so there's no suffering? I feel very ignorant asking that but it's only with cases like this that I've ever thought about such horrible situations
Probably irrelevant in this case given that doctors have said for a while that they don't think he's capable of feeling pain at this point.

Associate
I'm just grateful we have a system that has the best interests of the child as a priority. The parents appear to spend more time in court and on their publicity campaign than they do with the child.

Caporegime
If this whole case wasn't farcical before, it is now. How can they possibly expect the paediatric ITU to suddenly be setup in their home for a few days?

Probably because they know how much bad press they can kick up with the spotlight on the case. Which I suspect is why they wouldn't work with GOSH to resolve the issue and just kicked up a stink instead.

Soldato
.......10 days i have read or is that BS?

Also hearing the guy from America has financial interests in the treatment he was offering.........

Really feel for the parents and the hospital staff. Bang out of order they should be receiving threats, though.

Nobody wins in a situation like this :( Its heart breaking for all involved.

Soldato
Probably because they know how much bad press they can kick up with the spotlight on the case. Which I suspect is why they wouldn't work with GOSH to resolve the issue and just kicked up a stink instead.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain objective and impartial in this case. The sad thing is that the parents and the media and to some extent the public look at this case as one side winning and another losing. In their "loss" the parents have acted pretty callously by continuing to fight every decision and making it public. They wanted their privacy respected apparently. Nobody wins here. It's a tragic, incurable genetic disease.

Soldato

They will give something so it *seems* dignified to the observer, sometimes even that fails.

Permabanned
The American doctor who offered treatment and hope even though he had never seen any medical notes from the child is the real problem in this charade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom