Cheap 120mm PWM fans for 240 and 120mm AIO's

Associate
The fans in my PC that I built back in 2012 are showing signs of age, they are making buzzing/whining noises from time to time I would like to replace them. I am not looking to spend too much money as I will probably replace this PC in a year or two.

I currently have x3 Gelid Wing 12 fans cooling an H100i GTX and a 980ti Hybrid. What would be the best fans to replace these with, without having to spend too much? I am not fussed if they have LED's or not, my only requirement is that they are no louder than the Gelid Wing 12's.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, while I'm not fussed about LED's I'm no fan of the white blades (I have a case window, so it will annoy me, lol). However, forgot to look in the fan bundles section. While looking I came across a triple pack of Akasa Apache Black fans which is the exact amount I need:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thre...per-silent-120mm-fan-4-pin-pwm-bu-001-ak.html

Anyone know if these are quiet and/or good for AIO water cooling performance?

Edit, Just found the Phanteks PH-F120MP in black:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-ph-f120mp-120mm-pwm-fan-black-fg-027-pt.html

Also, anyone know how the Akasa compares to the Phanteks in terms of noise/airflow (I always find the fan specs are never same as benchmarks)?

Last edited:
Soldato
With prices from £21.95 to £26.99 they are definitely not cheap fans.

Really? They are not that expensive. Why skimp? A 'cheap' fan is $10, surely another $10 isn't the end of the world? If you want cheap, don't bother looking up the 'best' cheap fan, you get what you pay for. Might as well head to pants electronic shop and get the first 120mm fan you see, with cheap plastic and overdone RGB lighting with none pwm lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? They are not that expensive. Why skimp? A 'cheap' fan is $10, surely another $10 isn't the end of the world? If you want cheap, don't bother looking up the 'best' cheap fan, you get what you pay for. Might as well head to Maplin and get the first 120mm fan you see, with cheap plastic and overdone RGB lighting with none pwm lol
Really? Than what are Phanteks PH-F120MP fans that only cost £7.50 each? They perform very well .. well enough I would use them instead of NF-F12 |IPPC fans because the flow plenty of air quietly. NF-F12 IPPC are industrial fans and many users find them noisy. Indeed, you do get what you pay for, but a higher price tag does not mean it's a better fan. Seems you might be talking a line you can't back.
Oh, you are breaking OcUK rules by naming a competitor. :p

Soldato
Oh, you are breaking OcUK rules by naming a competitor. :p
Not for long :D

I think it's pretty ignorant to throw statements like that around. If the OP had an extra £30 to put towards the fans (3 £20 fans over 3 £10 fans), they might well have opted to put it towards a more important upgrade like cooler or GPU. Whereas in reality they may already be over budget/broke but need to replace dying fans. Value is a continuum and there's always "more" to be had if the budget is increased. Budget is budget, you can't justify spending money that you don't have.

Hence having a discussion about which fans are good for the money!

Back
Top Bottom