Cheap 4K video camera

Associate
Having kids, I'm thinking about getting a video camera to record some memories (I have a terrible memory myself in any case). I was looking at 4K video cameras which seem to start at £500 or so and then noticed that there are a load of unbranded, cheap versions that Jeff Bezos is peddaling and wondered if anyone had any experience of these. And preferably was able to compare to the more expensive branded versions.

Or without the leading question, I'm after decent video and sound quality, small size and reasonable battery performance.

Left-field thinking, I have a Canon DSLR with a load of good lenses but my camera only records for 10 mins at a time which is annoying.

Soldato
Which Canon DSLR do you have and lenses? You could potentially upgrade your camera body to a newer unit and gain 4K as well as a better camera. Though it would be tough in that price range.

Associate
OP
Which Canon DSLR do you have and lenses? You could potentially upgrade your camera body to a newer unit and gain 4K as well as a better camera. Though it would be tough in that price range.

Camera is a 6D and I wouldn't like to lose the full frame sensor. Lenses are a mix: 50mm 1.4, 28-70mm f2.8L, 100mm f2.8L, 70-300mm cheaper thing

I did briefly consider one of the mirrorless bodies and a lens adapter but that didn't seem like the most sensible option. Plus battery life looked awful.

Soldato
I would just stick to 1080p at 60fps, recording in 4k is currently a bit of a faf. Your device will get very hot, be limited to short recording times and probably be a cropped view. Also you'll need more storage and a higher end computer to process the video.

Associate
I had a 6D. I chopped it in for an 80D, particularly with a view to doing more video. And I have a GoPro Hero 7.

In short ...

1080p is fine - in fact its very good out of dslr cameras.
4K is just too much faff and hassle imho.
60+ fps just means you can slow down the footage back to 30fps for those arty slo-mo shots that youtubers do.

I greatly miss the full frame of the 6D... really regret that aspect of the change for still photos
The 80D does nice video, I like the autofocus on it etc etc.
The GoPro 7 is good, stable , great close in etc ... but you miss the zoom / reach compared to dslr.
Also, as already mentioned the internal mics are pretty poor ... on an SLR you hear the focussing of lenses.

I personally would like to change the 80D to an EOS Rp so that:

I get back the full frame.
I retain the 1080p video quality.

------------------------

Further to this, one thing I have noticed is that without image stabilisation in the lens and camera ( for my setup ), hand holding a dSLR body cirectly makes for shaky footage as soon as you start going into slightly longer zooms.

I have recently bought a basic U/C shape bracket thing. Because the camera hangs from your hand more, it makes for smoother video. Its quite good for following children around more at their height.

Associate
OP
I had a brainwave this morning.

I think the answer to the question is Magic Lantern. The record limit can be removed, it opens up different recording resolutions etc. and best of all it's a free solution. I can then spend a bit of money getting a decent external microphone.

Back
Top Bottom