Cheap andriod phone for music playback

Soldato
My Moto E 2nd gen which I use at the gym for playing music has giving up on me and is running too slow even for basic playback now. I decided to replace it with another cheap android phone, the Cubot Magic 5. Perfect for the gym so I can watch videos now while on the treadmill only problem is the volume is too low compared to my Moto E when using my earphones so I might have to return it. Now Im looking for cheap alternative for media playback with good volume. I only need some requirements.

Must be around the £100 mark, less than £100 would be better. Any brand will do, Chinese or not.
No less than 2GB Ram.
Able to take SD cards.
No less than Android version 6.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd check that there isn't some daft volume limit that can't be removed/raised by rooting first.

Root the Cubot Magic 5 and install Arise Sound System with Dolby Atmos, that should be loud enough even with 2-3 volume step.

Tried rooting but I cant get the flash tool to download anything. Followed the instructions but given up on trying to troubleshoot

Try and get an HTC M8 or M9 second hand.

I still think my M8 (which I use as an 'iPod' and spare phone) has great sound quality.

Thanks, looked at this but finding a decent nick condition for less than £100 is proving to be difficult

Slightly off topic, but wasn't Cubot caught with having preinstalled malware?

Yeah but this model is malware free apparently.

Associate
Do you need to it support SD cards larger 32GB?

The problem with the cheap phones is majority of them do not support cards higher than 32GB. I was looking for phones around that price mark with no less than 2GB of ram not so long ago. The best I could find for brand new is a Moto G4 Play and Xiaomi Redmi 4x (both support higher than 32GB). I ruled out the majority of the no name Chinese phones except the Xiaomi as it's more known and more importantly has better community support etc (ROMs etc).
G4 Play is about £130 though. The Redmi 4x price range varies wildly due to the different versions. I bought the Global version which cost me about £105 and delivery took about 8 or 9 days. If you are strictly using it as a music player and not a phone then you can get a different version (which probably doesn't support band 20) for much less.

Having said that, the volume is quite low on 4x but can be adjusted by modifying a file if you have root. I don't think you can get a better phone than 4x for that price.

I'd mention also that unlocking the bootloader is bit of pain in the butt due to the process (you have to create xiaomi account and wait for a unlock code..if you manage to) and not technical difficulty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom