Cheap cars to insure?

Associate
Hi people can anyone recommend any cheapish cars under 1k that are generally good to insure been driving 3 years 2 NCB, Ano alot fo things have to be took into account as it differs per person, but throw any cars at me, checked facebook ebay gumtree ect, all seem to be the same odd cars you see that tend to be not the best on insurance.

cheers.

Man of Honour
I've generally found the bulk of cars, including many more towards the performance/exotic end of the scale are around the same for me - then some that are ridiculously high - it would cost me like 6x more to insure some of the performance Audi models than a Nissan GT-R!

The cheapest cars generally are the mid size stuff like 5 door bog standard diesel Ford Focus, etc. the smaller cars especially eco boxes tend to be much higher for various reasons.

Soldato
Your age, the area you live in, occupation, engine size etc etc make a big difference. Go to this website you can get as many quotes as you want so find a car you like then see how much they want for it! I found them to be up to 35-40% cheaper than other insurance companies !!

https://www.admiral.com/

Soldato
Insurance is a postcode lottery....

And its not really rocket science working out what cars are likely to be cheap to insure , anything with a small engine

Soldato
Your age, the area you live in, occupation, engine size etc etc make a big difference. Go to this website you can get as many quotes as you want so find a car you like then see how much they want for it! I found them to be up to 35-40% cheaper than other insurance companies !!

https://www.admiral.com/

Use a comparison site not one insurer, Admiral was cheaper for me for two years but my last Admiral renewal quote was £1890, I ended up with a quote from Tesco's for £850 in the end!
Even better in the comparison sites you can just go back to the first page and change the registration and search again.

There are so many variables when it comes to car insurance it's impossible to say, I thought turning 25 would drop the insurance costs on my F11 but I didn't see a significant drop until after I had a crash and got 3 points on my license.

Soldato
I just got rid of a 2002 1.4tdi Polo (probably worth about £500, tops) that was costing me about £115-£160 (with Elephant insurance) over the past 7 or 8 years to insure fully comp. The higher prices were somewhat due to my wife, as named driver, having 6 points on her license for a few years.

The alchemy of car insurance means it's different for everyone, though.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
There's no universal answer, you'll have to do your own research. If you get your shovel out, you'll probably find a good number of threads like this on here or Google.

- Use Icognito mode
- Try all comparison sites
- Get min 3 account setup with different emails
- Try different job role
- Play around with where the car is parked during daytime and overnight
- Play around with mileage, for some reason 6000 miles a year was cheaper than 3000 when I was getting quotes for my first car
- Do the quote 2-3 weeks in advance (insurance companies always bend over those who leave it till last minute or are in a rush)

Following the above pattern, I got my first insurance for £975 on an EP2 when I was 18.

I'm 23, did a quote for an M3 E92 last year which was £778, now the quotes are coming back as £2k. Nothing changed in history, apart from additional year to my NCB...

Man of Honour
Insurance is a postcode lottery....

And its not really rocket science working out what cars are likely to be cheap to insure , anything with a small engine

I've not really found that true - when I last looked at quotes a 0.9L "eco-box" costs me like £1200 a year to insure :( a 3.8L V6 GT-R £480. My 3L V6 Navara is just over £400 while a 2L TDI Tiguan £550.

(For LOLs I had a look at quotes again for some of the Audi RS series - like £6K a year to insure!)

A lot of friend and family I've been involved with insurance stuff like 1.6-2L TDI mid-size is cheaper than smaller engine hatchbacks, etc. but for someone else it can be a completely different story.

Soldato
My cheap daily car cost more to insure than my Lotus, which is worth about 10x as much. Cheap cars arent cheap to insure because they get bumped far more, the owners dont care about them.

Top Bottom