• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheap GTX 1070 or RTX 2060?

Associate
OP
THanks all for your input - really helpful. I tend to keep these things for years, so need to make a good descision.

The case is like that, but it does not have the vents at the top (that's the ALX version), mine just has holes. Here's that one with the plastic shrouds open:
aurora-r4-10.jpg
aurora-r4-13.jpg

aurora-r4-14.jpg

In case in helps, someone posted the following air flow diagram for an Aurora R3, but the case looks the same as the R4. Note I'm not sure if that little exhaust fan at the top is present in mine, and the airflow for the card is clearly indicating an open air type fan (yellow arrows near GPU) rather than the blower type it was apparently designed for. IGNORE THE GREEN ARROWS, these are where the user made a hole in the front of the case. I think this person said their unit was overheating after he replaced a blower with open air type(hence his/her diagram). You can see there is not much capacity for air coming into the case, more that its pushed out by the case fans:

TnSWo5w.jpg

The Aurora originally shipped with various blower type GPU's (Radeon HD 6870, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Radeon HD 6950 or GeForce GTX 580), but I've yet to take a look to see if the 560ti in mine is a blower (will take a look).

I've asked again on the Dell community if anyone is running an open air type card succesfully without it dumping hot air in the case and raising temps of CPU.

On the vega 56 (aero or otherwise), what's the multi monitor support like - i.e. whats the max resolution it can run at? This is my main reason for buying.
NVidia states the max resolution of their 1070 (7680x4320@60Hz) , but I cannot find these details for the AMD/MSI card anywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does look like a blower card would be the best bet. Whilst I’ve owned a vega 56 and some of the models are very good I wouldn’t touch a blower version with a barge pole as heat and noise would be unbearable for me, ymmv.

Soldato
I’d be tempted to pick up a two fan variant over the blower and spend a little on a new matx case.

Wouldn’t take too long to transfer the guts from one case to another. Can get a new case for around £30. Something with a little more airflow would let you use any card you fancy :)

Associate
OP
I've not got time to change the case - though I've learned a lesson. If I have the time/knowledge, may custom build next time. This CPU upgrade is to give me a few more years out of this machine, which has serverd me well since 2012. Perhaps I'm back to the 1070 Asus turbo then - of all the blower models, that seems to have good reviews, and rus a littel cooler and quieter than the vega 56 I understand?

Associate
I'll take a look. Not bothered about those games though. If I did opt for the 1070, would that be a really bad thing?
I'm certainly not going to ignore advice here, just in case there's something about the Vega 56 I'm not sure about, as I need to look at it closely regarding heat/noise, multi-monitor support, and reliability etc.

As no one seems to be speaking up for the 1070, that seems a concern - you list a 1080Ti on your footer, but still recommmend the AMD. Worrying for the Nvidia options!

The Vega 56 performs a little better than the 1070 out the box and a good bit better when undervolted. But no a 1070 wouldn't be a bad card at all, just a little worse.

Associate
OP
I trust those of you here that clearly have the experience, and its really causing me some thought - after all you want the best for your money. Some reviews on Amazon.com for the Vega 56 Aero suggest unusually high temp, which would be a concern for the Aurora case:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B078DZR5YK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_fmt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=current_format&pageNumber=1

Some compain of multi monitor set up issues (display port not working when HDMI used), but noteably there was one user who swapped out his 1070gtx for an Aero Vega 56, and said the heat was too high [Edit: just noticed that he swapped out an dual fan open cooler for the Aero, hence the possible new coil whine].

I'm guessing the vega 56 needs to be fiddled with to get it set up ok (undervolting is I guess what I mean here, how ever you do that).

Soldato
If you had no choice but to keep the case i'd be totally removing that black support in front of the gpu
And modifying the front panel, lower shelf support to install 1 or 2 fans.

From another perspective a blower type card would help remove the heat out of the case better than a x2/x3 fan aib type. But it would also need a good supply of air to feed it.

Vega requires tweaking to get the best out of it,
Whereas the aib 1070, 2060 will run cooler and quieter. The 1070 blower will be pretty much the same as the vega.I think you'd be best with a blower type card, but like bluntwrapped said for the cost of a new case it would be the best solution.

Soldato
I would take the VEGA54 blower card, £250 with 3 games you sell, overlock the card, under volt it and you have a GTX1080 performance and it will blow all the hot air out of that case like you want. Gtx 1070 or RTX2060, i would not touch.

I really am not sure why I see so much recommendations of GTX1070, RTX2060 AND RTX1660 card over vega54. Unless you have heat and power requirements that restricts your use to these card then ok no problem but in most case its not.

bru

bru

Soldato
I would take the VEGA54 blower card, £250 with 3 games you sell, overlock the card, under volt it and you have a GTX1080 performance and it will blow all the hot air out of that case like you want. Gtx 1070 or RTX2060, i would not touch.

I really am not sure why I see so much recommendations of GTX1070, RTX2060 AND RTX1660 card over vega54. Unless you have heat and power requirements that restricts your use to these card then ok no problem but in most case its not.
GTX 1070 or RTX2060 i would not touch. Looks at your username, well theirs a suprise , nobody would have ever seen that coming. :p;)

bru

bru

Soldato
Anyone considering a blower style card of 1070 or above performance, really needs to understand just loud and hot these things will be. All the undervolting in the world isn't going to help, blower cards are hotter running an much louder than open air coolers, period.

Soldato
Anyone considering a blower style card of 1070 or above performance, really needs to understand just loud and hot these things will be. All the undervolting in the world isn't going to help, blower cards are hotter running an much louder than open air coolers, period.

I had a 6990 which is a blower card and not end of the world but it did kick out lots of heat when overclocked and @ 100% load.

GTX 1070 or RTX2060 i would not touch. Looks at your username, well theirs a suprise , nobody would have ever seen that coming. :p;)

I have a 1080TI:) although i am a AMD fan.

Associate

Not all blower cards are instantly rubbish. I don't find my Vega 56 particularly loud, even under load. It reaches about 70-74 degrees, which is hotter than a non reference solution, but still not awful.

It depends what you're looking for from the card, and case airflow etc.

Back
Top Bottom