Cheap hotels dublin city centre?

Associate
Hi there,

bit of a random plea, but looking for some cheap accommodation for paddys day in dublin. Dates March 16/17/18.

Anyone know of any cool little hotels to crash at, obv quality don't matter, but ideally needs to be walking distance (<25mins) from the city center(ish) area.

Googling like mad, but there might be some cool places some of you guys have used, that are less popular?

Cheers in advance (Y)!

Chris.

Associate
St Paddys weekend so I'd imagine the prices to go up silly amounts, I'm going the weekend before and staying in the Christchurch hall apartments which can sleep 5 people (2 rooms, a sofa bed, kitchen and bathroom) 3 nights works out at about £330. We stayed there last year and it was very nice, about 5 minutes walk out of Temble Bar st which is the main strip.
I've also heard a lot of good things about the accomodation at Gogartys bar which is one of the busiest bars, smack bang in the middle of temple bar!
I'm sure you will have an ace time!

Associate
I live slap bang in the Dublin City Centre. Here's my choices in order of preference, I'd say your cutting it a bit fine booking for Paddy's day now though. Prices will be extortionate but you'll have a great time.

Mespil is located on the Grand Canal, 10 minutes walk from St. Stephens green. Picturesque and surrounded by fine dining and traditional Irish pubs.
Mespil Hotel

Harcourt is based on a busy main street that's just off St. Stephens green. Good nightlife and easy access to Grafton etc.
Harcourt Hotel

Russell Court is opposite the Harcourt hotel.
Russell Court Hotel

If you need anymore info on pubs, clubs, restuarants, hotels, sites etc. just ask. Glad to be of service to our overseas OCUK visitors :cool:

Associate
Could always go a bit further out, theres a nice hotel in Castleknock (Called the Castleknock hotel, afaik) It's mainly a business hotel I think, so weekends there are usually quite cheap/quiet. It's a fair whack out of the centre, but nothing a short bus ride or taxi won't fix.

I'd only do that as a last last resort though, considering it's paddy's day it may not be a terrible option.

Associate
OP
ErinGoBrath said:
I live slap bang in the Dublin City Centre. Here's my choices in order of preference, I'd say your cutting it a bit fine booking for Paddy's day now though. Prices will be extortionate but you'll have a great time.

snip..

If you need anymore info on pubs, clubs, restuarants, hotels, sites etc. just ask. Glad to be of service to our overseas OCUK visitors :cool:

Hi mate, all those above were fully booked which was a shame, but....

We managed to squeze into this place "Portobello Hotel"!! It looks ok, sure it's not going to be amazing quality but it's a roof and a bed to sleep in. You're right about the prices though, fri and sat are about £55 per person, whereas sunday night is only £25 lol! But hey they gotta make some money somehow!

Any recommendations on where to be on Paddys day? streets, bars etc?

Also is there any places around (apart from bars and clubs) that are a must to check out in and around Dublin. I hear the guiness factory should be visited for sure?

Sorry mate if i sound a bit keen, just well excited that we finally have our accommodation booked!!!! :D

Thanks in advance everyone!

Chris.

Associate
!

Ha, the Portobello hotel is a 2 minute walk from my house! There's a pub underneath it is a pub and a late bar. It'll do the job but there's better places you could spend your time boozing!

A few must visit bars:
Keogh's - St. Anne St (Off Grafton St.) - Really busy old style Dublin pub. Super pint of Guinness in here.

The Village - Camden Street (Very close to the Portobello) - Trendy bar full of good looking people. Good place to go for some dancing and good music.

Templebar Bar - Slap bang in the centre of Templebar. Typical touristy overpriced pub but good fun. I expect the whole of templebar to be heaving for the whole of Paddy's weekend.

Restuarants
Ruby Blues - Beside your hotel - New restuarant, bit pricey but getting rave reviews everywhere.

CafeBarDeli - Grafton Street - Superb food, great athmosphere and suprisingly affordable!

Millers - Baggot Street - Gourment pizza's with a twist. My personal favourite. Quite reasonalble too.

As for where to go on Paddy's day - I'd say the Grafton St/Templebar area would be a safe bet. I wouldn't worry it too much, just wander around and you'll find some great places. Everywhere's busy and good fun on Paddy's day.

Enjoy!
PS. Don't forget to visit the Guinness storehouse. It's a must see!

Soldato
Thanks for the info so far ErinGoBrath;what's the practicality of staying at the airport hotels (have vacancies and half the price) and using cabs in and out of town? any idea what the fare is?

I'm thinking of coming over on 15/3/2007 and returning on 20/3/07 : can get flights for £16-63 return from Leeds.

Airport hotel (Carlton 4*) is £60 a night for twin/double.
Thanks for any info.

Associate
singist said:
Thanks for the info so far ErinGoBrath;what's the practicality of staying at the airport hotels (have vacancies and half the price) and using cabs in and out of town? any idea what the fare is?

I'm thinking of coming over on 15/3/2007 and returning on 20/3/07 : can get flights for £16-63 return from Leeds.

Airport hotel (Carlton 4*) is £60 a night for twin/double.
Thanks for any info.

Hey dude,

I'm afraid the reason behind the pricing on the airport hotels is the poor location. Taxi fare into town can vary depending on the traffic - somewhere between 15-25 euro would be the norm. It'll all add up and cost you bigtime over the 5 days! Plus you've the inconvenience of traveling in and out every day, normally a 20-40 minute journey. There is a aircoach service that operates from the arrivals terminal which goes into the city centre every 15 minutes (7 euro single, 12 return), a public bus is also available at a fraction of the cost but I don't know how long it'd take or how frequent they are. All I know is the aircoach is direct, fast and comfortable.

I had a look on lastminute.ie for you and I'd say you'd be better off booking into the Best Western Sheldon Park Hotel. It's on the far south side of the city but most importantly right on the LUAS (new tram for Dublin City) line which means you're within a 15 minute tram trip on the city at all times. It's a much cheaper alternative than commuting in from the airport.

A double room for your required dates come to a measly 450 euros. Not bad at all.

You'll also see on lastminute the Days Inn in Rathmines. It's much more expensive but right in the centre of town.

If you need anymore info feel free to ask! Hope this helps :cool:

Associate
OP
Hey mate thanks for the tips!! We'll defo be visiting the Guinness factory everyone raves about it!!

Don't suppose you know the best way of getting to Dublin from "Belfast airport" do you?

So far, I'm thinking...
Belfast Airport ---(bus)--> Belfast city --(train)--> Dublin city

Wondering if there's a direct bus route?

(Flying to Belfast as it's a lot cheaper, than direct to Dublin) Even including the additional travel.

Associate
Great topic! I am going to Dublin in June for 15months.

I need somewhere to live, relatively cheap.

Near Mespil Road preferably, any suggestions? :p - Work is on Mespil Road, and I think that hotel suggested above is way too expensive!!

Soldato
Rossmac said:
Great topic! I am going to Dublin in June for 15months.

I need somewhere to live, relatively cheap.

Near Mespil Road preferably, any suggestions? :p - Work is on Mespil Road, and I think that hotel suggested above is way too expensive!!

I'd Like to know what kind of "Work" your doing if you need a hotel room..... ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom