cheap insurance? (new driver)

Soldato
i have phoned a few places up and even used those rubbish comparison sites but was just wondering if anyone could advise on where to go, what car to get...

guess i got £4,000 to play with for a car and i only need 6months insurance, but will probly try get 1 year for NCB what you think???

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry. Mis read it a bit. It's a similar amount to what I had when I started. Get a small engined hatchback (Clio/Punto/Fiesta etc). Insurance will be £2k if not higher depending on where you live, what you do etc.

Soldato
You'll get much cheaper insurance by going with something a little more boring and different... like a Yaris. It's not exciting admittedly, but it'll be the most cost effective way to build up your NCB. Without the chav image associated with it, should reduce premiums too.

Don't do what I did and got sporty first cars - insurance will cripple you whilst your still getting a decent NCB backbone. (MR2, SEAT Ibiza, Lotus Elise - my first cars!).

Soldato
OP
You'll get much cheaper insurance by going with something a little more boring and different... like a Yaris. It's not exciting admittedly, but it'll be the most cost effective way to build up your NCB. Without the chav image associated with it, should reduce premiums too.

Don't do what I did and got sporty first cars - insurance will cripple you whilst your still getting a decent NCB backbone. (MR2, SEAT Ibiza, Lotus Elise - my first cars!).

bloody hell lol...

im not really wanting a sporty car atm(not that i have a chance in hell in affording the insurance), just need somthing to get me from a to b thats real cheap.

eventually though work up to somthing nicer

Associate
i have phoned a few places up and even used those rubbish comparison sites but was just wondering if anyone could advise on where to go, what car to get...

guess i got £4,000 to play with for a car and i only need 6months insurance, but will probly try get 1 year for NCB what you think???

Why do you only need 6 months insurance? Do you plan on driving the other 6 months of the year without insurance or do you simply only need the car for 6 months?

If it is the latter, £4k upwards is a considerable chunk of money to throw at 6 months of motoring.

Associate
Try also looking at slightly bigger cars but still not too big like the Ford Focus. I have been finding in my searches that a Ford Focus can have similar quotes for a Corsa with the bonus of being a bigger, faster, more spacious and better handling car.

Also, some cars in the same segment can be cheaper than others despite having similar characteristics. I have been finding a Vauxhall Vectra costs more to insure than a Ford Mondeo. Chav image perhaps? :p

Also, don't go by insurance groups. I have ran quotes where a higher insurance group was actually cheaper. You just gotta run quotes to find cars that are cheap for whatever reason. It pays to go for a car that doesn't fit the typical new driver image. A
Vauxhall Corsa has suprisingly high insurance cause that's what the majority of new drivers go for, pushing up the premiums.

Soldato
OP
Why do you only need 6 months insurance? Do you plan on driving the other 6 months of the year without insurance or do you simply only need the car for 6 months?

If it is the latter, £4k upwards is a considerable chunk of money to throw at 6 months of motoring.

nope only a mug would drive without insurance... i only need it for about 6 months, but ill probly end up getting a years just so it adds to my NCB

4k is a lot, but i will be using it for more than just the 6 months overall(if i keep it over that time) unless of course i can get a better car for similiar/cheaper insurance

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Try also looking at slightly bigger cars but still not too big like the Ford Focus. I have been finding in my searches that a Ford Focus can have similar quotes for a Corsa with the bonus of being a bigger, faster, more spacious and better handling car.

Also, some cars in the same segment can be cheaper than others despite having similar characteristics. I have been finding a Vauxhall Vectra costs more to insure than a Ford Mondeo. Chav image perhaps? :p

Also, don't go by insurance groups. I have ran quotes where a higher insurance group was actually cheaper. You just gotta run quotes to find cars that are cheap for whatever reason. It pays to go for a car that doesn't fit the typical new driver image. A
Vauxhall Corsa has suprisingly high insurance cause that's what the majority of new drivers go for, pushing up the premiums.

really? i keep getting silly qoutes of 7-9k on punto's,fiesta's etc...but thats online maybe i should try some on the phone.

a focus sounds nice, if within budget

Associate
Try Adrian Flux and Admiral.

Ive been with Admiral for 2 years now, but not at the same time. had one year on and one year off. Almost always get ripped off with renewal prices.

Associate
Comparison sites are crap for young drivers, it seems. My first car was a 1.4 Fiesta, and searching comparison sites gave me quotes of £2.5k+

Had a look round and got a quote of £1900 from Churchill. Looked further, and ended up getting £1600 from Egg...not exactly who I was expecting to end up with!

Back
Top Bottom