• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cheap low profile Nvidia car for video playback?

Associate
an Nvidia Geforce 6200TC 64mb :D
Low profile card, Passive cooled, can pick em for for a couple of quid on the bay..

You never said about age or power of the card :D

I bought 2x 6200TC 64mb'ers off ebay once for 99p and £1.50 postage...
both faulty, i reballed the gpu chip on one of em, and removed the vram chips off the other and fitted it to the one i reballed.. doubled the vram. 128mb Vram in total then.. Got a cheap fan cooler from Hong Kong, found a power source on the pcb, soldered the fan wires to it to power it... Overclocked the stuffings out of it, flashed it to those clocks, and still got it now... and for how old and how poor spec it is.. after a massive cooling mod and a huge overclock, it played crysis 1 at 9fps LOW settings...
i know 9fps sucks, but concidering how poo the card is, i was even expect 9fps from it haha

Soldato
Soldato
If you want a HTPC nvidia card, then I would strongly recommend the GT 430. According to this Anandtech review of discrete HTPC cards it is one of the very best. There are also passively cooled low-profile versions of this card - such as the "sparkle" one.

That said, before you put money down on a new card, may I ask what your current AMD card is and what specific issues are you having?

Soldato
OP
If you want a HTPC nvidia card, then I would strongly recommend the GT 430. According to this Anandtech review of discrete HTPC cards it is one of the very best. There are also passively cooled low-profile versions of this card - such as the "sparkle" one.

That said, before you put money down on a new card, may I ask what your current AMD card is and what specific issues are you having?

Whats wrong with AMD? What issues are you having?. I've ran a Radeon HD5450 and HD6310 in my HTPCs and both have been fine.

to be honest its a long shot.... i have a Asus HD 6450 SILENT EDITION 1024MB GDDR3 Low Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card

i have an issue with my display not showing correctly on my TV, which to be fair is properly to do with my sony amp/receiver, but i want to try an Nvid card to see if that helps.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18383729

my idea was to get a cheap one from ebay and simply sell if it does not work and lose a few quid, failing that i need to test a different TV and AMP, which seems harder!

Soldato
What version of CCC are you using with the 6450? I found that 11.8 and 11.9 were best and most stable for my 5450. It seems just like an overscanning problem? I had a similar issue when I first set it all up but after setting underscan to around 5% sorted it. Presumably you've already tried going into CCC > My Digital Flat-Panels > Scaling options?

Interesting that Windows doesn't detect your TV but recognises your amplifier. My just states "SONY TV" with no mention of the AVR?

Soldato
OP
Would you be able to connect the PC directly to the TV and route the audio separately to the amp (ideally using a digital connection)?

What version of CCC are you using with the 6450? I found that 11.8 and 11.9 were best and most stable for my 5450. It seems just like an overscanning problem? I had a similar issue when I first set it all up but after setting underscan to around 5% sorted it. Presumably you've already tried going into CCC > My Digital Flat-Panels > Scaling options?

Interesting that Windows doesn't detect your TV but recognises your amplifier. My just states "SONY TV" with no mention of the AVR?

yes plugging the pc straight to tv works fine, but its a hassle swapping and one of the major reasons i purchased the amp, so bit gutted :(

Back
Top Bottom