cheap mods/upgrades to my pc? bored...

Associate
hey guys, so i have my custom built rig and im just bored with it... what could i do to make it better fairly cheap? spec is:
Asus Sabertooth P67
4gb Corsair Dominator ram
320gb hard drive
intel core i5 2500k
corsair h80 watercooler
corsair tx750v2 power supply
Ati radeon HD4870 graphics card (soon to be upgraded)
Coolermaster Storm Scout case

im just a bit bored with it, what can i do to make it better fairly cheap?
thanks
ste

Associate
OP
Increase to 8GB RAM and overclock if you haven't done so already.

Next would be to upgrade video card (if you game) or an SSD.

What's your budget and what are you looking to get out of an upgrade?

i dont really know to be honest, ive got a bit of money come in, and you know when you get that feeling of boredom and you look at your pc and think, what can i do to make it better? im thinking on the ram front as well,
but my main issue is, i HATE spending money :( honestly it is like a bloody war with myself coming to terms with buying something - took me 3 months to persuade myself to build this pc... money conscious upbringing is the cause, i wish i could just go out and buy a bit and be happy! :/

my rig does everything i need it to to be honest but i just fancy upgrading it. will probably invest in a 60gb boot drive ssd, extra 4gb ram and maybe sell my graphics card and get a gtx 580 or gtx 570...
thanks

Soldato
If it's just boredom and the need for newness and something else to play with.

Why not install Ubuntu and have a play with that. Buy a wifi card and practice hacking your own network. Change some wallpapers.. make a website! Takes ages to learn if you don't know how and see how many hits it gets.

All fun stuff to do that will keep you occupied for hours and doesn't cost much at all :)

P.S. I also get that bored feeling. Spending the money seems to fill an empty hole (I'm not disturbed or a pschologist, honest!)

Associate
OP
If it's just boredom and the need for newness and something else to play with.

Why not install Ubuntu and have a play with that. Buy a wifi card and practice hacking your own network. Change some wallpapers.. make a website! Takes ages to learn if you don't know how and see how many hits it gets.

All fun stuff to do that will keep you occupied for hours and doesn't cost much at all :)

P.S. I also get that bored feeling. Spending the money seems to fill an empty hole (I'm not disturbed or a pschologist, honest!)

ive always considered linux, i actually used it to hack into my school network cos the network team is a bunch of noob ******** that get paid mega money for doing jack all really. im not that advanced in computing, i know my way on the basics, yet i managed to hack into one of the machines, change the boot order, installed my own usb linux os, and formatted the hard drive xD i dont particularly like linux that much, it looks good but ive only ever used windows and change is hard :/
funny you should say, i study psychology at A level xD yeah i have just over a grand out of my savings account sat there, I want to buy something but i feel such a tight ass with my money - hate spending it! lol, always talk myself out of buying stuff I dont need, but ive just got this real desire to buy something.

I will try your ideas anyways, thanks man!

Back
Top Bottom