Cheap Motoring. New Car Advice

Caporegime
So I'm due a move back to the UK and need a car. Though trying to minimise costs at the moment I just want something cheap and realiable. (House buying first before I can get back to something more fun :().

A few Focus have popped up nearby. Anything I should look for? Any specfic cars I should be looking at in this price range?

Most, if not all of my driving will be long distance. I live within walking distance to work. But I travel a fair amount, live 300miles from family etc.

I've pretty much been igorning the car itself and looking for condition etc. Which is hard to do without a lot of time visiting everywhere. I'm visiting home for a week and it'd be so ideal if I could pick up a car within that week. Can I really go wrong with a relative low mileage focus for £2k?

Seen these so far which tick all the boxes.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...d=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...nesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=33

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=2500&page=36

Caporegime
I’d certainly consider a Focus, I’ve just recently bought a 61plate Titanium X estate and must say I really like it (quite something given I previously had a V8 7 Series!)

Excellent economy (I’m getting high 40’s around town) very good handling- always a Focus trait - I would suggest you sacrifice low miles for the M.K. 3 variant though, imo they are a much better car than the M.K. 2 versions you’ve linked to.

You will get a higher mileage diesel in your budget relatively easily and given you’ll be rocking the miles on it anyway I wouldn’t particularly be too bothered about a lower mileage example - which will tend to command a considerable premium - just be sure it’s got a full detailed service history and has had the timing belt replaced.

Make sure you try a few, don’t buy the first you try unless it’s exceptional, I tried four when I was looking for mine (all 1.6 TDCi manuals) and was quite surprised by the difference between the best and worst of them.

Associate
If it helps family are selling a ‘54 fiesta - 1.4 zetec-MOT until October and about 85k miles but now surplus to requirements.

Got a few quirks, cosmetic rubs (one bumper scuff led to a non-structural write-off a few years back) and it’s been used to cart dogs around so isn’t clean inside but it’s never let them down and has historically gone through MOT’s without issue.

They’d likely take £250 to make space on the drive.

Caporegime
OP
I’d certainly consider a Focus, I’ve just recently bought a 61plate Titanium X estate and must say I really like it (quite something given I previously had a V8 7 Series!)

Excellent economy (I’m getting high 40’s around town) very good handling- always a Focus trait - I would suggest you sacrifice low miles for the M.K. 3 variant though, imo they are a much better car than the M.K. 2 versions you’ve linked to.

You will get a higher mileage diesel in your budget relatively easily and given you’ll be rocking the miles on it anyway I wouldn’t particularly be too bothered about a lower mileage example - which will tend to command a considerable premium - just be sure it’s got a full detailed service history and has had the timing belt replaced.

Make sure you try a few, don’t buy the first you try unless it’s exceptional, I tried four when I was looking for mine (all 1.6 TDCi manuals) and was quite surprised by the difference between the best and worst of them.

Excellent, is yours the 1.6 TDCi then? Are all the engine ranges belt driven. I assume so.

The MK3 seems slightly out of my budget sadly. It started 2010 it seems.

It'd be a manual, at these prices for myself. Yeah I mean 80k miles isn't high for me, considering I'm currently driving a 140k Vectra.

If it helps family are selling a ‘54 fiesta - 1.4 zetec-MOT until October and about 85k miles but now surplus to requirements.

Got a few quirks, cosmetic rubs (one bumper scuff led to a non-structural write-off a few years back) and it’s been used to cart dogs around so isn’t clean inside but it’s never let them down and has historically gone through MOT’s without issue.

Random. Where are you located?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 2007 focus, although a 1.6 petrol. Had it for 5 years now and it's been bulletproof so far, only had wear and tear items replaced on it. I have just had the cam belt on it done so the aim is to run it into the ground. It's pretty basic but it's fine for getting to a to b.

Man of Honour

I've got one of these, a 1.4 TDCI of the same age. I do about 300 miles a week in it, and recently used it for 2 longer journeys (3 hours each way)

The seat isn't massively comfortable but I can't really find much else to complain about.

Great choice for a daily runabout.

Associate
I’m SE London - sorry for the randomness...

It’s a car that hasn’t let them down but is cosmetically marked (not too badly mind) and filthy - either move it on at nothing if easy, else send it off to meet its maker (although it’s still got some life left in it)

Caporegime
Excellent, is yours the 1.6 TDCi then? Are all the engine ranges belt driven. I assume so.

The MK3 seems slightly out of my budget sadly. It started 2010 it seems.

It'd be a manual, at these prices for myself. Yeah I mean 80k miles isn't high for me, considering I'm currently driving a 140k Vectra.

Mine is the 1.6tdci yes, I went for it because my partner ran a 12 plate example for 5 years and 50k miles without any issues, it provided a good mix of economy and performance, thus far this one seems just the same.

AFAIK the diesels are belt driven whereas the petrols are chain.

Ford stipulate changing the belt on diesels around 115k miles / 8 years but I note mine (with a full Ford history) was done at 75k miles when the car was 7years old...

You’ll find the Mk3 came in on 11plates, there are examples out there within your budget albeit with miles but not necessarily sheds by any means, imo they are a vast improvement over the Mk2, is certainly consider stretching your budget if possible to get yourself in one.

Caporegime
OP
Mine is the 1.6tdci yes, I went for it because my partner ran a 12 plate example for 5 years and 50k miles without any issues, it provided a good mix of economy and performance, thus far this one seems just the same.

AFAIK the diesels are belt driven whereas the petrols are chain.

Ford stipulate changing the belt on diesels around 115k miles / 8 years but I note mine (with a full Ford history) was done at 75k miles when the car was 7years old...

You’ll find the Mk3 came in on 11plates, there are examples out there within your budget albeit with miles but not necessarily sheds by any means, imo they are a vast improvement over the Mk2, is certainly consider stretching your budget if possible to get yourself in one.

Thanks.

Had a look but without stretching my distance over 100miles of where I'll be looking there isn't many that isn't 3.4kish over and look in good nic etc. I've already increased my budget and don't want to go crazy. Though if one pops up and over budget, I'll certianly consider it.

Caporegime
Thanks.

Had a look but without stretching my distance over 100miles of where I'll be looking there isn't many that isn't 3.4kish over and look in good nic etc. I've already increased my budget and don't want to go crazy. Though if one pops up and over budget, I'll certianly consider it.

That’s the problem, you’ll find one but can guarantee it’ll be the other end of the country!

Don’t get me wrong, the Mk2 is a fine car in its own right and arguably - from what I’ve read - has better handling but imo the Mk3 trounces it especially with the interior and levels of equipment, styling too.

But, if funds are tight then you won’t go far wrong with a Mk2 just ,as I alluded to earlier,make sure you try a few examples to gauge what a good one feels like and be particular with regard to good service history etc, there’s plenty out there so you can afford to be picky and seek out a good one at a specific trim level you’d like.

Back
Top Bottom