1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap multi tool to cut metal?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by jsmoke, 19 Jul 2021.

1. jsmoke

Capodecina

Could somebody point me to a cheap multi tool or Dremel with associated metal cutting discs?

I need to cut a bolt etc.

2. Mason-

Soldato

If it's just one bolt and you're in a bit of a pickle could you not just use a hacksaw?

3. jsmoke

Capodecina

No its a tie rod end, no room for hacksaw or nut splitter, I tried.

4. sigma

Capodecina

Look on eBay and read reviews.

Angle grinder might be your best bet but try not to cut your body parts off.

Use goggles and proper gloves.

or pay a garage to do it

5. jsmoke

Capodecina

Think angle grinder may be to big plus Dremel can be used for other things like sanding.

6. BUDFORCE

Mobster

Can buy a small grinder.

I have used a Dremel for car work before but really it's like using a pair of scissors to cut the lawn.

7. dale1uk

Wise Guy

A rotary multitool can be slow progress, but can also be handy for certain jobs and is a decent tool to have at on your shelf. Ive got a cheap Vonhaus one (this one) and it works well. I can also highly recommend the Dremel EZ speedclic head and cutting discs. They allow a bit of give so the discs don't snap anywhere near as easily as the standard ones do

8. Hunterlit

Gangster

Can you not use a Hacksaw blade and wrap something around the blade to hold on to? Recip saw is another option

9. radderfire

Mobster

10. sovietspybob

Mobster

i've been using a Lidl/Aldi dremel type tool for years and years, it was really cheap but seems to keep going. Trying to get through a bolt will take ages but for a one off it'd probably be ok.

I've used mine a couple of times to grind off nuts on the back of a turbo that were rusted solid with really bad access to other tools, just took some time and a couple of cutting disks.

11. jsmoke

Capodecina

Yeh these EZ discs look good though you need to buy a mandrel for them also.

12. Diddums

Capodecina

Is it green & black? That's what I've got, also from one of those two. Excellent little thing however the tools it came with were woeful so I've bought some better ones as and when needed.

@jsmoke make sure you wear eye protection. Even a Dremel's little disc runs a high chance of shattering and can blind you before you can blink.

13. Th0nt

Capodecina

Would have to agree. Once you use an angle grinder you wont go back.

14. jpaul

Capodecina

no room for a hacksaw blade .. but room for a dremmel ?
    a lubed junior hacksaw blade is pretty effective ,
    &with a bigger space can obviously put a grinding wheel in a regular electric drill, I used dremmel tools in that.

15. dLockers

Soldato

If you use a Dremel make sure you wear eye protection. Those discs go explosive once they're done.

16. jpaul

Capodecina

Diddums said that !

17. dLockers

Soldato

18. jsmoke

Capodecina

19. Thebug

Wise Guy

20. sovietspybob

Mobster

No mine is just black, i've head it like 10+ years though so it might even have been from somewhere else! But the bits that came with it were indeed terrible so it could well be.

It's got one of those long bendy extension bits on it which is super useful for getting into tight places you couldn't normally access.