Cheap multi tool to cut metal?

Soldato
Could somebody point me to a cheap multi tool or Dremel with associated metal cutting discs?

I need to cut a bolt etc.

Soldato
Look on eBay and read reviews.

Angle grinder might be your best bet but try not to cut your body parts off.

Use goggles and proper gloves.

or pay a garage to do it

Soldato
OP
Look on eBay and read reviews.

Angle grinder might be your best bet but try not to cut your body parts off.

Use goggles and proper gloves.

or pay a garage to do it

Think angle grinder may be to big plus Dremel can be used for other things like sanding.

Associate
A rotary multitool can be slow progress, but can also be handy for certain jobs and is a decent tool to have at on your shelf. Ive got a cheap Vonhaus one (this one) and it works well. I can also highly recommend the Dremel EZ speedclic head and cutting discs. They allow a bit of give so the discs don't snap anywhere near as easily as the standard ones do

Soldato
i've been using a Lidl/Aldi dremel type tool for years and years, it was really cheap but seems to keep going. Trying to get through a bolt will take ages but for a one off it'd probably be ok.

I've used mine a couple of times to grind off nuts on the back of a turbo that were rusted solid with really bad access to other tools, just took some time and a couple of cutting disks.

Soldato
OP
A rotary multitool can be slow progress, but can also be handy for certain jobs and is a decent tool to have at on your shelf. Ive got a cheap Vonhaus one (this one) and it works well. I can also highly recommend the Dremel EZ speedclic head and cutting discs. They allow a bit of give so the discs don't snap anywhere near as easily as the standard ones do

Yeh these EZ discs look good though you need to buy a mandrel for them also.

Caporegime
i've been using a Lidl/Aldi dremel type tool for years and years, it was really cheap but seems to keep going. Trying to get through a bolt will take ages but for a one off it'd probably be ok.

I've used mine a couple of times to grind off nuts on the back of a turbo that were rusted solid with really bad access to other tools, just took some time and a couple of cutting disks.

Is it green & black? That's what I've got, also from one of those two. Excellent little thing however the tools it came with were woeful so I've bought some better ones as and when needed.

@jsmoke make sure you wear eye protection. Even a Dremel's little disc runs a high chance of shattering and can blind you before you can blink.

Soldato
No its a tie rod end, no room for hacksaw or nut splitter, I tried.
no room for a hacksaw blade .. but room for a dremmel ?
a lubed junior hacksaw blade is pretty effective ,
&with a bigger space can obviously put a grinding wheel in a regular electric drill, I used dremmel tools in that.

Soldato
Is it green & black? That's what I've got, also from one of those two. Excellent little thing however the tools it came with were woeful so I've bought some better ones as and when needed.

@jsmoke make sure you wear eye protection. Even a Dremel's little disc runs a high chance of shattering and can blind you before you can blink.

No mine is just black, i've head it like 10+ years though so it might even have been from somewhere else! But the bits that came with it were indeed terrible so it could well be.

It's got one of those long bendy extension bits on it which is super useful for getting into tight places you couldn't normally access.

Back
Top Bottom