Cheap Oil Heads up (Castrol Edge)

Man of Honour
Just seen that Tesco is selling 1l bottles of the above for £2.75. On HUKD, it originally said just 10w-40 but a guy just text me saying it was on 5w-30 too, so could be a whole range deal

Soldato
Is it ok to mix different brands of oil as long as both are fully synthetic and same grades? I never do but at these prices would be tempted.

Soldato
Edge is touted as a great oil is the subject of lots of marketing

How do we actually tell what is a good oil and what isn't? Is it purely based on manufacturer approvals?

Soldato
But if I pick two examples, mobil 3000 x1 5w40 and shell ultra 5w40. They both have broadly similar approvals, similar price, but one marketed as premium and the only oil to meet Ferrari approval, the other is just a mid range oil

Edge is a similar price still and marketed as the ultimate. There are only so many approvals that are available, is this why there are so many lengthy oil debate threads?

Caporegime
But if I pick two examples, mobil 3000 x1 5w40 and shell ultra 5w40. They both have broadly similar approvals, similar price, but one marketed as premium and the only oil to meet Ferrari approval, the other is just a mid range oil

Edge is a similar price still and marketed as the ultimate. There are only so many approvals that are available, is this why there are so many lengthy oil debate threads?

Its a good question.

Going by the Opie oils website the Shell and Mobil products are High Ash products.
Helix SM 229.5
Mobil SM 229.3

Where as EDGE is Mid Ash therefore suitable for DPFs. It also carries API SN which is the latest API spec (although Opie havent updated the website)

The specification requirements are similar but it is arguable more difficult with lower levels of ash, hence you need better components.

I guess ultimate marketing comes into it when you have 3 things that all look the same. The deciding factor could be to go with the UK based company rather than a US or Dutch one.

Soldato
Gutted. Spent £16 on a 1l bottle at a motorway services yesterday as the oil light came on just as I hit the motorway.

Got some Fuchs Titan Pro S 5w40 on it's way so I'll be flushing the old oil out and giving it a full service. Stupid M54's drink more than I do!

Back
Top Bottom