Cheap paint for a rented flat?

Soldato
The cheap Screwfix emulsion is great for ceilings as it goes on well and is quite chalky and dull Matt. It wouldn't be good for walls though as it isn't as robust as a quality alternative.

I'm referring to their no nonsense range being ideal for ceilings.

Soldato
We used to moan about the magnolia everywhere in our rented flat, and not being able to change it, but we must have become institutionalised because the house we bought nearly 2 years ago is an ex rental, also painted magnolia, and we quite like it :)

Re paint quality, +1 for buying trade paint, it just makes the whole job much easier.

Associate
From my experience it depends on the colour you are painting over.

If you are painting light colours over light colours, it’s generally fine. I’ve used B&Q premium own brands plenty of times to paint white on white.

It gets a lot stickier if you are painting over damage, mould, etc. Forgetting about if the mould etc is solved, I find multiple layers of special paint

Soldato
White emulsion on the walls will look awful. You need something warmer or it'll justify look like a dentists office.

It's all personal taste.

If OP did want to try something else, then Johnstone's (as mentioned) can mix any colour for the same prices, so just pick up F&B swatch or whatnot and they'll match it. We've gone for School House White instead of bright white in our landings etc.

Back
Top Bottom